News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Conrad Ansorge (1862-1930)

Started by LateRomantic75, Wednesday 22 January 2014, 01:08

Previous topic - Next topic

tpaloj

Quote from: tuatara442442 on Monday 09 September 2024, 12:55
Quote from: tpaloj on Saturday 30 November 2019, 13:18I'm very happy to present a Dorico/Noteperformer audio of the whole Ansorge concerto!

Tuomas, can you upload it to an online storage site?
Now that the Triendl recording has been announced, do you think there is any need to hear my noteperformer rendition at all? I have no objection to uploading it, but I'm just curious.

I haven't listened to the recording yet, but just based on my recollections on working with the score some years ago... I thought that the work had something in common with the style of Pfitzner and Busoni concertos: perhaps, just in concept. Despite the chromaticism which I did not a detriment here, Ansorge has composed a beautiful, poetic work which, while maybe (as Alan has pointed out) leaves the listener wanting a little more of it, contains powerful and enchanting passages and writing for the piano and orchestra alike. A very worthwhile work in my view, worth hearing and studying.

tuatara442442

After repeated listening I have to say it is really not as chromatic as I first felt. I think I'm just too allergic to the Regerite chromaticism. Alan have a point that the music doesn't rise to a satisfying enough height. I think this happens in the first movement. And the intermezzo, weirdly, lacks a climax or a high-point in the place of a climax, and feels going nowhere.

Quote from: tpaloj on Thursday 12 September 2024, 09:48Now that the Triendl recording has been announced, do you think there is any need to hear my noteperformer rendition at all?

I didn't know the broadcast has been recorded then, and the commercial release hasn't yet been specifically announced, so I asked.

Quote from: tpaloj on Thursday 12 September 2024, 09:48I thought that the work had something in common with the style of Pfitzner and Busoni concertos: perhaps, just in concept.
I can hardly connect those two with this one: the Pfitzner PC has a similar style of relatively light chromaticism but feels much more inspired in its middle movements. The Busoni PC is at times acerbic but doesn't have "chromatic sludge" in it.

Ilja

I tend to agree that the middle movement, though very attractive, is perhaps a bit too lightweight and brief for this concerto relative to the others. But as a whole, I like this more than the Pfitzner; it's certainly a lot better balanced than that work.