News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

More on Gunter Raphael?

Started by petershott@btinternet.com, Saturday 05 March 2011, 10:17

Previous topic - Next topic

petershott@btinternet.com

I recall a slight brouhaha on the site (about a year ago?) when we got the news that CPO were going to issue works by Gunter Raphael. But since then - unless I've missed out - I can't recall any subsequent postings. (There has also, of course, been a Toccata disc devoted to some works for violin & piano, and also a few months back a detailed and enthusiastic article by Martin Anderson on Raphael in International Record Review).

So any reactions here? At the time of their release I put both CPO sets on the lengthy wants list. But it has only been this week that I've acquired the 2 CD set of works for violin. Early days yet, and I'm still exploring the piece and trying to work out my responses to it, but I think I'm quite bowled over by the 2nd Violin Concerto composed near the end of Raphael's life. A most unusual piece, commencing with a very extended cadenza for the solo violin, and then quite remarkable and tightly organised development of materials over its four movements, leading up to an ending of absolute silence in which I could scarcely draw breath. And here a real stunning dazzling performance by Christine Raphael - cripes, I'm not a string player but the work strikes me as being fiendishly difficult to play.

I think I'm going to end up putting it in the category of great 20th century violin concertos, and it is no more 'difficult' to get into than, say, the Britten Vn Concerto (though of course that's a very different work). On the basis of this I'm itching to explore other works by Raphael. The 3 CD CPO set of symphonies moves straight to the top of that wants list (trouble is, it is a very expensive set, and curiously, considerably more so than other CPO 3 CD sets).

I express my enthusiasm - but I'd much like to read reactions of others.

Peter

Pengelli

And what a name! No 'Farting Raphael' here! (I have been pondering over these cd's myself).

eschiss1

there's also, I think, a fantasy for violin and orch. on a compilation CD on Thorofon (or was- could be NLA. This was some while back.)

petershott@btinternet.com

Yes, it is an earlier performance by Christine Raphael. And still available.

Holger

Hi,

this is an older topic but nevertheless I want to give a reply now.

I bought both CPO sets and the Toccata disc months ago, and in fact, this is music I appreciate a lot. Yes, the Second Violin Concerto is a masterful piece, dense and expressive. Maybe I should give some comments on the symphonies. The CPO set presents five of them, in details Nos. 2–5 and the late Chorus Symphony "Von der großen Weisheit" on words by Lao Tse. Raphael wrote many more symphonies, there should be ten of them if I remember correctly, though he only numbered half of them.

The Second Symphony is still much rooted in romanticism, it does have its nice sides and it is certainly an ambitious piece, although Raphael is still in search of his own tone here in my view. The Third was composed ten years later (in 1942), this is a mature piece distinguished by its clarity, its neoclassicist or neobaroque allusions and its vigorous approach. The Fourth is similar, the recording presented by CPO is a historical one conducted by Celibidache. I do think this is a great piece!

The Fifth is more austere, Raphael begins to show an interest in dodecaphony though he doesn't abandon tonality (the piece is in B flat). This tendency can also be found in the Chorus Symphony, which is a massive work lasting 72 minutes even in this recording which presents an abbreviated version as the liner notes tell us. I like this symphony very much, unlike we could expect this is no opulent piece but rather an ascetic, thoughtful and deep work. For me, it seems to be typical of the whole work that in the end, Raphael starts a great apotheosis with chorus and full orchestra building up a climax, but refuses to let the symphony end like that: finally, the music calms down again and comes to a quiet and enigmatic ending. That's a great moment!

So I can only recommend this CD set a lot.

Regards,
Holger