Symphonic Suite or Symphony in disguise?

Started by albion, Saturday 05 March 2011, 13:21

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

Quote from: chill319 on Friday 18 March 2011, 13:19Dvorak, who showed in Symphony 7 that he could develop an idea as well as anyone (and I do mean anyone) had in the New World a bit of a comedown in terms of craftsmanship. But the materials are so compelling, I think the result was still intimidating for other composers.
Dvorak showed his developmental chops in his earliest symphonies.  Certainly the working-out in the first movements of the first four symphonies follow Beethovenian models.  I find the development in the first movement of the 2nd (B-flat) Symphony to be particularly accomplished.  But the 4th, 5th and 6th Symphonies show hm to have been equally skilled.

John H White

Schumann's Overture, Scherzo & Finale has often been referred to as a symphony without a slow movement. Personally, I tend to think of Spohr's Seasons Symphony as more in the style of a suite, being rather less dramatic  than most of his other works in that genre. However, with Franz Lachner, one can easily see the difference between his symphonic style and the later Neo Baroque style of his orchestral suites. However, if we move back in time to the late 18th Century we can see how Mozart transformed the 2nd Haffner Serenade into the 4 movement Haffner Symphony by dropping the opening march and one of the 2 minuets.

mbhaub

Korngold's Sinfonietta is a symphony in all but name. We might add to this composers who called it a symphony when it isn't even close, such as Gottschalk's Night in the Tropics. I'm not sure it even qualifies as a suite, but it sure isn't a symphony, delightful as it is.

John H White

On the subject of symphoniettas, I would say that Janacheck's deserves the title of symphony, being written for quite a large orchestra.

eschiss1

I should note re Thorpe-Davie that I have not yet read Tovey and should, and do not know whether Thorpe-Davie is, as is possible, just repeating or elaborating on the latter's opinions (with the belief that his audience will know Tovey's work and not need this explained to them - in any case he gives Tovey credit for other things and mentions him fairly often.) Though academic (if not as rigidly so as some of the people he rightly mocks of course- he has the sense to pay attention to the actual music) he's good enough to have provided my mind things to chew on. anyhow. apologies again for digression :(
Eric