Lyapunov's Violin Concerto on Naxos

Started by M. Henriksen, Monday 12 July 2010, 10:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Well, beggars can't really be choosers: there's no other modern performance available. Anyway, the violin playing is spectacularly good! A must-buy!

Peter1953

Quote from: giles.enders on Sunday 05 December 2010, 14:40
I am hoping it is better than the recently released recordings of the piano concertos which are a great disappointment both from the point of recording and performance and what a cheap trashy booklet cover!

Oh dear, I've just ordered this CD a few days ago.. I hope it's not too bad.

Peter1953

I cannot compare the Lyapunov PCs under Yablonsky (Naxos) with Brabbins (Hyperion), because I haven't got the Hyperion disc. Maybe that's the reason why I'm not disappointed. I think Shorena Tsintsabadze (try to pronounce her name...) did a good job. I don't like Hamish Milne's piano playing so much.
Now I'm awaiting the release of the Lyapunov VC.

JimL

I don't know what problem anyone could have with Milne's playing on the Hyperion disc.  I found his performances highly idiomatic, fully up to the formidable technical challenges and appropriately poetic where required.  I absolutely love the Ukrainian Rhapsody.  I have no need to get any other disc.

sdtom

Quote from: giles.enders on Sunday 05 December 2010, 14:40
I am hoping it is better than the recently released recordings of the piano concertos which are a great disappointment both from the point of recording and performance and what a cheap trashy booklet cover!

I can't say anything as I've no experience with Ponti or Hamish but I wouldn't say the cover was trashy.
Thomas

JimL

Well, I finally got this CD.  I must say I'm impressed with Fedotov's playing.  The concerto is similar to the Saint-Saëns VC 1 - a single sonata movement sandwiched around a contrasting slow section (with a sumptuous cadenza thrown in to boot).  I'm somewhat impressed with the Symphony 1 - a strong first effort, with some adroit orchestration.  Well, I've always found Lyapunov's strong point was his scoring.  I particularly like his use of the bass clarinet in several passages.

Alan Howe

The line of descent of the Lyapunov VC would seem to include the Arensky, Conus and Glazunov VCs - IIRC all one-movement pieces containing a variety of sections. Something of late-Romantic Russian speciality, maybe?

JimL

I actually edited out the Arensky and Glazunov concertos from my post, Alan.  The structure of the Lyapunov is somewhat more similar to the Glazunov, but Glazunov tacks on a thematically unrelated finale.  Arensky is also similar, but he adds on that waltz section after the slow 'movement'.  As I said, the overwhelming similarity, structurally, is with Saint Saëns' 1st, except for the cadenza (which makes it actually more similar to the Glazunov).

I actually ought to pick up the Arensky from Hyperion.  Doesn't it have a cadenza as well?  I can't remember.  And I wonder if the Lyapunov was also composed (as were the Arensky and Glazunov) for Leopold Auer?  I believe he was still around in 1915.

eschiss1

A partial manuscript (part of the first movement, up to page 35 of short score) at New York Public Library in their catalog mentions no dedication, fwiw. (The catalog entry- perhaps from a notation on the manuscript, as does happen; perhaps from external sources; I don't know- does mention that the original, unrevised version- remember that the concerto was revised in 1921- was premiered in Petrograd in 1916.)

John

I'm finding this concerto very enjoyable but not as memorable melodically as either of the piano concertos. But since others have speculated about influences, surely Sibelius' violin concerto is one?

Alan Howe

Welcome, John!
Personally, I don't hear any Sibelius in the piece, but that may be my fault. To me its nearest relative is Glazunov's VC.