News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Unsung Grieg recordings?

Started by andrewt, Saturday 13 August 2011, 05:00

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewt

Hello, I've been reading this board on and off for awhile, and just finally registered. It makes me happy to know that I'm not the only one who has heard of some of my favorite composers (Myaskovsky, Gretchaninov, etc.)! Anyways, you guys seem quite knowledgeable and I figure you may be able to help me. I know Grieg's not exactly an unsung composer, but I'm looking for old recordings of his music (particularly songs) that may or may not have made it to cd. The older, the better; it would be great if I could find some from Grieg's time or shortly after (I have the recordings of Grieg himself on the Marston label).

I normally use ArkivMusic to find recordings, but their database only includes in-print cds. Any leads you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Andrew

jerfilm

Welcome to the Forum, Andrew.

I have an excellent MIDI file from a DuoArt reproducing piano roll of Grieg playing Le Papillon from his Lyric Pieces, opus 43, #1.  If you'd like a copy, just send me your email address.  MIDI files are small like 15kb and easy to send via email.  Can be played on virtually any computer or digital keyboard or piano.  These are much better than player piano rolls as the reproducing piano did, indeed, reproduce the nuances of dynamics and pedaling.

Incidentally, if anyone else is interested, I have hundreds of these things and very many of composers playing their own works.  Examples, X Scharwenka, Gershwin, Rachmaninoff, Medtner, D'Albert, V Herbert, Richard Strauss, Cadman, Mahler, D'Indy, Carpenter - the list goes on and on.  If anyone has an interest, I could zip a bunch of them up and upload it......

Jerry

andrewt

Thanks, Jerry! That would be great if you could upload them, if not, would you mind emailing them to me? Thanks!

eschiss1

iTunes for Mac does an ok job of midi to mp3 conversion I think...

TerraEpon

Actually the quality of the sound card isn't what makes it good or bad. It's the quality of the MIDI sample library. My own card is a very good one but it only comes with basic MIDI sounds which were bad 15 years ago...

If I can, I'll give these a go with Finale which comes with a very good piano sound.

(Edit: And it seems I can't even get Rapidshare to load at all at the moment)

jerfilm

Terra, I removed the links to the Rapidshare midis.  I couldn't access them either.  Will try it with another sharing program.  Meanwhile, I also started converting them to mp3s and enhancing the quality.  Even using Roxio Creator 10 is a big improvement......

More later.

Jerry

TerraEpon

What happened was the links had FTP instead of HTTP....changing it to HTTP let me DL it