News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Toscanini's repertoire in 1898.

Started by alberto, Saturday 02 April 2011, 12:59

Previous topic - Next topic

alberto

In 1898 Toscanini (aged 31) conducted 43 concerts in Torino (between 9/5 and 14/7 and between 29/8 and 1/11).
53 (!) composers and 133 works were performed.
Wagner and Beethoven the most performed.
Among the performed:
Much Dvorak (also Symphonic Variations, Carnaval and Othello)
Rimsky
Grieg
d'Indy
Massenet
Lalo
Bizet
Saint Saens
Franck
Goldmark
Humperdinck
Lassen
Svendsen
Stanford (Irish Symphony)
Cowen (Scandinavian Symphony)
Spohr ( a concerto for two violins)
Fuchs
Bazzini
Foroni
Catalani
Mancinelli
Franchetti
Bolzoni
Sinigaglia
Ponchielli
Martucci and Sgambati played their own Piano Concertos (Martucci the second, the only one published).
------
Strictly for Raffians (I am one, in my limited knowledge): the young Toscanini conducted Raff 3 more than once in early years (sometimes only the Dance of the Dryads). In Italian years he certainly conducted it again in Bologna (1906) and in Roma (1920).

eschiss1

Well, once a time publication was avoided to prevent others from poaching on ones' own concerto property, so Martucci's first concerto might not have been out of the question if he'd gotten someone just to prepare the parts and a conductor's score- but that would frankly have been much more practicable in the classical era when he could have conducted it himself too. So yes, as the 1st in D minor was only published in the 1970s, the B-flat minor concerto of 1885-or-so it was :) (though the first symphony had come out three years before, and Toscanini became a champion of the symphonies too, as I  recall- or maybe just of the F major 2nd of 1904? I don't know, in fact.)  Guessing the Spohr was opus 88 in B minor though I think there are at least two of them so maybe not...

alberto

My source (A. Della Corte: Arturo Toscanini, 1958, 471 pages) doesn't indicate exactly the Spohr.
Toscanini championed and several times both Martucci Symphonies (the First, the only then existing, also in 1898 in Torino). Not studio-made Toscanini recordings in the NBC years of the major Martucci works (both Symphonies, La Canzone dei Ricordi, the (second) Piano Concerto -and of some shorter works) have circulated in variable sound since the LP era. Some of them have been restored properly by Naxos (and, maybe, by Guild).
There was also a pioneering early '40s Telefunken set of records of the Second Symphony by Antonio Guarnieri (world first conductor, if I remember well, of The Fountains of Rome). Transferred to CD at least by the esoteric label Iron Needle (I've got it).