News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Anyone for Zarzuelas?

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 23 June 2011, 15:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Yes, I know that Rolando Villazón has rather let himself down by getting involved in an awful TV programme designed to show that non-opera singers can sing opera when they can't, but I must say that his CD of zarzuela arias ('Gitano', conducted by Domingo) on Virgin Classics is right up my 'calle'. After an overdose of serious stuff, there's nothing like the potency of cheap(er) music for variety, is there? Or am I demeaning zarzuelas quite unfairly? Are there any enthusiasts out there - and, if so, what is the best place to start?

alberto

I would suggest (for beginning) not an entire Zarzuela.
I would rather suggest two excerpts, in my opinion real "winners", unmissable pieces.
First: Orchestral intermedio from "El Baile de Luis Alonso " by Geronimo Gimenez. You can see on the web. Also on Brilliant 923840 (Zarzuela! Three CDs) and on Naxos.
Second:the song "De Espana vengo" from "El Nino Judio" by Pablo Luna. You can see the...baltic Elina Garanca on the Web (and listen her, for me absolutely irresistible, Cd "Habanera", D.G., which -of all places- has been recorded in my city).

alberto

I confirm the status of "hits" of the two excerpts indicated.
But if you own and know  one or more recitals I would suggest also the Naive box  VC5120 (6 cds - 2007 reissue) containing complete:
Emilio Arrieta: Marina
Tomas Breton: La verbena de la Paloma
Amadeo Vives: Bohemios
A.Vives : Dona Francisquita
Between the singers Maria Bayo, Placido Domingo, Alfredo Kraus
The "must" is for me the already quoted "Zarzuela!" (Brilliant 92380 - 3 Cds box): recital with orchestra by Berganza and Carreras plus a lot of purely orchestral excerpts.

febnyc

Alan - I love zarzuela.  I will perhaps have more info for you as soon as I can organize my thoughts on this excellent topic you raise. 

Meanwhile - suggest you take a look at this site:

http://zarzuela.net

febnyc

In addition to the above-mentioned titles, you might consider searching out (beware of some awful CD transfers - if you can find the LPs, better - check on the zarzuela site for reviews, etc.):

Granados: Goyescas
Luna: El Niño Judio
Caballero: La Viejecita
Giménez: La Tempranica

Generally consider other composers:  Sorozábal, Barbieri, Vives, Chueca, Serrano.

Especially look for conductors: Frühbeck de Burgos, Ataúlfo Argenta.  Performers: Pilar Lorengar, Maria Bayó, Teresa Berganza.

JimL

I'd be interested (of course) in any purely instrumental or orchestral music by composers primarily known for their zarzuelas.

febnyc

Quote from: JimL on Thursday 23 June 2011, 20:48
I'd be interested (of course) in any purely instrumental or orchestral music by composers primarily known for their zarzuelas.

Here are some possibilities:

Tomas Breton:  Piano Trio/String Quartet on Marco Polo; Andalusian Scenes, etc. on Naxos
Moreno Torroba:  a number of discs of guitar music on various labels
Ruperto Chapi:  String Quartet

JimL

febnyc

Alan Howe

A mine of information, gentlemen. Many thanks!

alberto

Apologies, my memory and/or attention falters.
Fine as is the intermedio from "El baile de Luis Alonso" by Gimenez, the real gem is the intermedio from......."La boda de Luis Alonso"....by the same Jeronimo Gimenez. I heard it in actual concerts six or seven times and invariably the audience became crazy and didn't stop clapping (with some people trying to dance in the chair).
You can listen it on:
"Preludes and choruses from Zarzuelas" Orch. and Ch. Communidad de Nadrid, cond. Roa - Naxos 8.555957
"Zarzuela arias and duets" . P.Lorengar, P.Domingo, Orf Symphnieorchester, cond. Garcia Navarro Sony MK39210 (contains also "De Espana vengo": itself another "must" to begin with, but available?).
To JimL I would suggest:
Ruperto Chapì: Symphony in D minor and Fantasia Morisca, Orch. Communidad de Madrid, cond. Encinar Naxos 8.572195.
Also (in theory):
"In the Alhambra" 19th Century Spanish Symphonic Music by Chapì, Breton, Monasterio and Carreras, Orch. Ciudad de Granada, cond. de Udaeta.
Label ALMAVIVA -DSI 0104 (very doubtul the availability somewhere).

eschiss1

I think I've heard Chapi's symphony (I know I've read a review of it) and  I have heard Breton's trio and quartet and recommend them.
(Quite a few digitally scanned Zarzuelas and scenes from same can be found at the Biblioteca Digital Hispanica by the way - which should also provide one with a list of names of Zarzuela composers whose various e.g. instrumental works one can then research using various tools including but certainly not limited to Worldcat, too.)

febnyc