News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Braunfels' Jeanne d'Arc

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 09 September 2010, 09:43

Previous topic - Next topic

petershott@btinternet.com

Morten, as with Alan in the above, I'm especially grateful to you - and I read your comments with delight. I've been very much hoping that the Decca issue will be rewarding, and from what you say it appears my hopes have been surpassed. Heavens, if your initial impression is that the opera is a notch up from Die Vogel then this will be one of my records of the year. The CD set has been promptly ordered, and it will be fascinating to get to know this work composed in the years of Braunfels' internal exile. (But why, oh why, has Decca not yet released this important set in the UK? I even e-mailed them a few weeks ago, and darn it, didn't even get a reply. Do they really want to sell records? No answer to that!)

Incidentally whilst browsing about earlier tonight, searching around for more about Braunfels, I came across a recently released CD (again it seems not yet released in the UK) of chamber works of both Braunfels and Adolf Busch. Another prompt order! And with the intended purchase of the eagerly awaited massive Tully Potter work on Busch published by Toccata Press (Martin Anderson - hip-hip-hurrah) all these things have given the bank account a wallop, and Christmas will be spent on consuming dry crusts whilst listening to Braunfels and reading about Busch. Perfect.

For like minded souls here is the link to the release about the latter disc, 'Two Roads to Exile':
http://arcensemble.com/wordpress/?p=12

Many thanks again Morten. Hope the temperature has now risen above -25 degrees. C***** - that's beyond my contemplation!

Peter

M. Henriksen

Well, this morning it's -19 degrees. At least that's a start!

Peter, I'm glad that you found my comments on the new recording interesting. My view on the recording and the music will always be a subjective one, but as I've already said: My first listen to this "new" opera made a stronger impression than when I heard Die Vögel for the first time. And I'm an big admirer of Die Vögel. I think I must listen to that opera in the coming days.

So I hope you'll have a good time, both with Braunfels and Busch!

Morten

Mark Thomas

I see that Braunfels' Fantastic Appearances on a Theme of Hector Berlioz is getting an airing in the Prom on 5 September. Anybody know this piece and, if so, what's it like?

Ilja

It's an orchestral set of variations on the Chanson de la puce from Berlioz' Damnation de Faust, much in the vein of Braunfels' Don Juan variations. A lot of fun.

Mark Thomas

Thanks Ilja, I'll have to remember to set my recorder, then.

Mark Thomas

I hadn't realised that cpo had issued a CD of Braunfels' Fantastic Appearances on a Theme of Hector Berlioz, coupled with his orchestral Serenade. Having now heard both works I can only urge that any lover of Richard Strauss at his most luscious dash out and buy it! The Serenade is a ravishingly beautiful work with the most sensuous string writing, whilst I was constantly reminded of Til Eulenspiegel in the big 40 minute long Fantastic Appearances, although in scale it's more like Don Quixote. Either way, if you like the Strauss tone poems don't miss out on this CD. 

eschiss1

from "http://www.radiostephansdom.at/programm/sendung/notturno/2011-06-01/" being aired tonight on Radio Stephansdom (webstreamed)-

PHANTASTISCHE ERSCHEINUNGEN EINES THEMAS VON HECTOR BERLIOZ, OP. 25
Radio-Symphonieorchester Wien
Leitung: Davies, Dennis Russell
cpo 999 882-2
at 3:02 am local (so 2:02 am Greenwich mean time, 9:02 pm 5/31/11 my time...)
Just in case anyone has the recording equipment and wants to listen to Davies' recording while waiting for the performance of this work at the Prom. (followup, I now see, to Mark's reply above :) ) (I suggest recording for 2 reasons: it's on at a certain time of day, and I assume it repays relistening. I am advocating only recording for personal use.)

britishcomposer

I am glad to find so many Braunfels enthusiast here!

If you can get hold of a copy of the cpo string quartets nos. 1 and 2 don't hesitate. Both late works from the mid-1940s. I know them for years and they haven't lost their impact.

Would anybody like me to upload concert broadcasts of the opera 'Don Gil von den grünen Hosen' op. 35, the Präludium und Fuge op.36 for orchestra or the Große Messe op.37?

I suppose the following late works have never been released commercially, have they?

Musik für Violine, Viola, 2 Hörner und Streichorchester Op. 68

Symphonia brevis für Orchester op. 69

Hebridentänze für Klavier und Orchester op.70

M. Henriksen

Symphonia brevis was released as a part of a 6 CD box set from RCA entitled Musik in Deutschland 1950-2000.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/German-Symphonic-Works-1950-2000-1/dp/B00004S83R/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309015009&sr=1-1

May I suggest that general posts about Braunfel's music are placed in the Braunfels-topic under Composers and music!?

Morten

britishcomposer

Sorry for that, hadn't noticed the topic...

M. Henriksen

fyrexia

This is a composer whose Op.21 Klavierkonzert i would really like to hear !

britishcomposer

I scan German radio for almost 20 years but have never seen this piece mentioned/broadcast.