News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Ole Olsen from BIS

Started by M. Henriksen, Wednesday 18 May 2011, 20:45

Previous topic - Next topic

M. Henriksen

I never thought this should happen: Two recordings of Ole Olsen's G major Symphony and the Symphonic Poem Aasgaardsreien in two years!
This time it's the North-Norwegian Symphony Orchestra releasing it's debut disc. The orchestra consists of musicians from Bodø Sinfonietta and Tromsø Chamber Orchestra (Bodø and Tromsø are the two largest cities in Northern Norway, and for those who wonder; Ø is pronounced as U in Underpants) supplemented by Army musicians. And the conductor is a Swede; Christian Lindberg (more famous for his trombone-skills).

More interesting is the fact that this disc includes the world premiere recording of Olsen's Concerto for Trombone and Orchestra. Christian Lindberg is the soloist, leaving the baton to Rune A. Halvorsen.

I notice that the cover says Arctic Symphony Orchestra. Well, this is just so typical for all things coming from the northern parts. Arctic seems to be a more eye-catching title than North-Norwegian... I know we are freezing to death above the Arctic circle, but no need to highlight it everywhere! Anyway, it seems that the orchestra's contract with BIS also includes recording Franz Berwald's complete orchestral output.

Details and excerpts here:
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Ole-Olsen-1850-1927-Symphonie-Nr-1-G-Dur-op-5/hnum/2661668

This disc is a pleasant surprise especially since the Concerto is included, but since this is almost a duplicate of the Sterling disc I can't help thinking about all the other unrecorded symphonic music from Norway.

Morten

Alan Howe

Yes, I saw this too, Morten. How good is the orchestra, do you think? (Under)pants?  ;)

More seriously, though, much as I welcome recordings of this repertoire, the duplication is a shame. Of course, CD labels plan well ahead, so it's likely that BIS knew nothing about the Sterling release....

Alan Howe

OK, now that I've listened to the excerpts at jpc, I had to order the CD. I just couldn't resist what I heard of the TC - and the Symphony's rather fleeter of foot in this performance compared to that on Sterling.

M. Henriksen

Quote from: Alan Howe on Wednesday 18 May 2011, 22:39How good is the orchestra, do you think?

I must admit that I've never heard them in concert, and since this is the orchestra's first recording I can only say that the excerpts sounds very fine. This is an orchestra that is put together by professional musicians, but they do not play together on a daily basis. My biggest concern is that the string section is too small for large scale symphonic music. Christian Lindberg should be a very competent soloist in the Trombone Concerto. I'm eagerly awaiting your review Alan!

Morten

mbhaub

I'll have to check this out. I've been aware of Lindberg, but having little interest in trombone concerti I've never picked up any of his recordings. Then just a few weeks ago he played his newest concerto with the Phoenix Symphony. The concerto was awful, to put it politely. Then he came back and conducted a Sibelius 2nd that was utterly thrilling, staggering in it's emotional impact. With a 2nd-rate provincial orchestra no less. Reminded me of the justly famous Barbirolli recording. I'll never hear it done better. So now I'm interested in what Lindberg has to say, as long as it's not his own music!

eschiss1

... was the music by Christian Lindberg or Magnus Lindberg (the pianist/composer, born 1958?) apologies, silly question, I know. I have heard a couple of works by Magnus Lindberg (Feria is the one I'm most sure I've heard, maybe another- kind of liked it actually, definitely no ways "Romantic" though) - not surprised that Christian Lindberg is a composer, just wasn't aware that he was. As to the trombonist's playing, he did very well by, in his BIS recording, Vagn Holmboe's (maybe more "neo-classical" but really more Holmboe, and rather witty) Trombone concerto (with small orchestra) of 1950.
Eric

Alan Howe

A very enjoyable CD, even if the string tone isn't that glamorous (don't worry, though, the playing's pretty good). The Symphony is given a fleeter performance than that on Sterling - actually very exciting. But the most welcome inclusion on the CD is the extremely nice Trombone Concerto (think something between Schumann and Strauss' First Horn Concerto). Brilliant playing from Christian Lindberg too!

M. Henriksen

For those wondering if this disc is worth the expense; this review is very positive:

http://classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=13420

Morten