News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

RPC Vol. 50

Started by FBerwald, Thursday 01 April 2010, 20:52

Previous topic - Next topic

FBerwald

Such Anti-Tchaikovsky feelings? I agree, the primary reason the RPC series interests us is because of the relatively unheard material they bring to light (I shall forever be thankful to THEM for Vol. 11). Nobody was more disappointed than I to learn that Vol. 50 was Tchaikovsky but after listening to it I revised my opinion... All I am saying is give it a listen before making any judgments . You might be surprised!!!!! 

thalbergmad

I will buy it if the 1st concerto is better than Horowitz recording and the 2nd better than Richter.

Thal

Alan Howe

When did Richter record Tchaikovsky PC2? I'd be interested in that...

thalbergmad

Oops, I mean Gilels not Richter.

Thal

jerfilm

I know this is old news now, but as a season subscriber to the Minnesota Orchestra for over 50 years, perhaps you'll forgive me.  I was thrilled when I learned that the MN would be featured on the 50th RPC.  I was totally bummed when I found out what they were recording.  As a guarantor I got a free copy as part of a gift deal - I would not have purchased it.  The performances were live (perhaps the only way that Hyperion could afford the Minnesota) , WERE stunning and audience noise is minimal.  Sound is "Orchestra Hall with 2000 in the audience" and not close miked as some folks like.  Why couldn't they have done something REALLY SPECIAL??  But then, the MInnesota hasn't played anything unsung for at least 25 years.......

eschiss1

Hrm. They are doing Walton and Aho concertos during the coming season, which I wouldn't mind hearing, though that's not quite what you mean!
Eric

jerfilm

Hyperion 54 - The Somervell scheduled for release in September is now available for preorder at Amazon.com (US)

Jerry