Golovanov as composer

Started by Christopher, Wednesday 08 August 2018, 13:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

A 3-CD of the music of Nikolai Semyonovich Golovanov (1891-1953) has been produced to mark the 125th anniversary of his birth. It's been produced by Orpheus Radio, the Russian state classical music radio station.

The radio station has made all the tracks publicly available here - http://www.muzcentrum.ru/producercenter/orpheusrecords/18664-vozrozhdaem-nasledie-russkikh-kompozitorov-nikolaj-golovanov   (the page is in Russian; title tracks are in Russian and English)

CD1 contains 2 orchestral works and orthodox choral a capella pieces.  The orchestral works are:

1. Prelude to Oscar Wilde's drama "Salome", written 1917 (Op.25)
2. Suite from the opera "Princess Yurata", written 1914 (Op.19a: i. Nocturne; ii. Dance of the Pearls; iii. Dance of Monsters and Round-Dance of the Pearls)

CD2 contains songs and romances.  CD3 is actually a DVD about Golovanov.

I have put the two orchestral works into the Downloads section. A recording of Princess Yurata was actually uploaded to this site in 2012 but the link is now dead.  The Prelude to Salome is, as far as I know, a world premiere recording.  It strongly reminds me of Liadov in its atmospherics, particularly Liadov's "The Enchanted Lake".

(I have also uploaded Golovanov's "Russian Overture" which is a re-load of a pre-2012 posting which also appears to be a dead link.)

Interesting to note that Golovanov's dates are the exact same as Prokofiev's yet the music (to judge by these pieces) is strikingly different.

britishcomposer

Christopher, I uploaded the Russian Overture in 2011 and to me the link does still work. Did you have any problems with it (or for that matter any of my other uploads?)

eschiss1

there is a 2005 score (Moscow: Izd-vo "Deka-VS") containing piano pieces by Golovanov including "Estampes" and a sonata. Has either been recorded?

adriano

Oh, immense thanks, Christopher, for this good news!
I have consulted these scores in Golovanov's own home in Moscow long ago and at that time nobody could help me tracing these audio files.