News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

New Natanael Berg CD

Started by Syrelius, Thursday 07 January 2010, 18:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Syrelius

Those who bought the first volume of Natanael Berg's symphonies on CPO might be interested to know that the second volume will soon be released, according to the JPC web-site:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/Natanael-Berg-Symphonie-Nr-3-Makter/hnum/7178133

eschiss1

BTW, the first symphony from that first volume is being broadcast on KING-FM Seattle right now. I take back anything bad I have ever said about ... :)

JeremyMHolmes

Syrelius - this CD (of Berg's 3rd Symphony) has actually been released for over 3 years (I have had it in my collection for some time), and I think has just been "marked down" in price on the jpc web site.... ;)

CPO don't appear to have recorded Symphony 4 yet, but that one is available on a Sterling CD.

Alan Howe

It's definitely a mark-down item, not a new release.

Gareth Vaughan

Syrelius made his announcement in 2010 - 3 years ago!

petershott@btinternet.com

Glad to note Eric takes back previous comments - a wise man is one who can change his mind!

Berg didn't set the world (or my ears) on fire - but I'm glad to have heard the first four symphonies, and the much later piano concerto. He is a worthwhile composer. The Sterling disc of Symphony 4 and the Piano Concerto is a good one. But if CPO record more Berg, then what's the betting it will be a second recording of Symphony 4 rather than Symphony 5 which so far is unrecorded!

There are also various operas by Berg, but much more realistic hopes for the future are a Piano Quintet and a String Quartet. Wonder what they are like?

Alan Howe

Nevertheless, jpc are offering a good bargain...

Miles R.

This subject heading raised such hopes in me! I wonder if CPO will ever record nos. 4–6.*

*Edited to add: Should be 4–5; see correction below.

FBerwald

petershott@btinternet.com

Wiki starts its very brief article on Berg by stating there are 6 symphonies - but then doesn't mention a Symphony No. 6 in the following list of "selected compositions"!

I've always thought Wiki simply commits a mistake here - and this might be from where Miles R. gets the idea of six symphonies?

Miles R.

Quote from: petershott@btinternet.com on Tuesday 19 February 2013, 09:16
Wiki starts its very brief article on Berg by stating there are 6 symphonies - but then doesn't mention a Symphony No. 6 in the following list of "selected compositions"!

I've always thought Wiki simply commits a mistake here - and this might be from where Miles R. gets the idea of six symphonies?
Your surmise is correct.  :-[ I suppose I ought not to have taken that claim on trust--especially as (as I now find) there is on this site a catalogue of his orchestral and choral works that includes only five, not six symphonies. I've never edited a Wikipedia article before, but maybe it's time I made a try.