USA 2011-12 season concerts

Started by eschiss1, Saturday 10 September 2011, 23:45

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Noticed that a Kalkbrenner quintet is among other very interesting works featured in the schedule of the Jupiter Chamber Players' coming season in New York city, so thought I'd maybe open a post to encourage other similar good news among the doldrums of US concert schedule, other candles 'mongst the gloom :) (whether or not you like Kalkbrenner specifically or live in New York City- I don't the latter and haven't heard really so much the former ... - the general idea, I hope is clearish :D )

jerfilm

Well, Whoopee Ding!  For excitement the Minnesota Orchestra is doing all five January subscriptions concerts as ALL BRAHMS programs.   How boring can THAT be??

The only thing even remotely unsung might be the Syzmanowsky Violin Concerto #1.   I really sometimes wonder why we continue to be season subscribers......

Jerry

edurban

Leon Bottstein will conduct Franz Schmidt's Notre Dame on March 18th, 2012.

There's also a Dec. 11, 2011 American Symphony concert with the Busoni Concerto and the Liszt Faust Symphony.

David

alberto

Some unsung (or rather unsung) in Torino, Italy, 2011/12
R.Strauss Die Frau ohne Schatten, suite
Rota Cello Concerto n.2
Friedrich Gulda Concerto for cello, winds and drums (fusion between jazz and..early romantic)
Casella Cello Concerto
Brahms (orch. Berio) Sonata for clarinet and orch. op. 120 n. 1
Ives-W.Schuman Variations on America
Kabalewsky Cello Concerto n.2
Clara Schumann Piano Concerto
Rota Concerto Soireé
         Symphony n.3
         Divertimento Concertante (d.bass. and orch.)
Moncayo Huapango
Albeniz (orch.Arbos) Iberia
Francaix 6 preludes for strings
               Symphony for strings
R.Hahn   Prélude, valse et rigaudon for harp and strings
J.Turina  Andalusian Scenes for viola, piano and strings op.78
Ysaye Sonata for violin op.27 n.2 (also n.3)
R.Strauss 5 piano pieces op.5
A.Rubinstein Sonata for piano four hands op.89
Widor suite op.34 for flute and piano
Poulenc Sextuor (piano and winds)
Roussel Divertissement op. 6 (piano and winds)
Taffanel Wind Quintet in G minor
Alkan Symphony for piano
          Airs for piano
Tausig Etudes op.1
Chausson Concerto for violin, piano, string quartet op.21
Donizetti String Quartet n.5
Casella Sonata a tre (for piano trio)
Ghedini 7 Ricercari (for piano trio)
Liszt unsung piano pieces: a lot

mbhaub

Quote from: edurban on Sunday 11 September 2011, 05:15
Leon Bottstein will conduct Franz Schmidt's Notre Dame on March 18th, 2012.

David

Many, many thanks for the heads up on that! I'm making plans today. Only one performance, that's a shame. This is still great news for Schmidt's fans. Maybe Botstein will do Fredigundis one of these years.

eschiss1

I do also see that Bizet's Djamileh is planned for one of Botstein's concerts.
The Boston Symphony does have a symphony by John Harbison (his 4th, which I've heard and which was pretty good, though not a Romantic work still an accessible one) coming up in November. His 5th (December 1st) is new to me and the 6th (January 12-17 2012) is a world premiere. Debussy's Koechlin-completed? Khamma is also planned by them for January 2012, I see...

Also Schmidt 4 will be performed at Avery Fisher Hall in NYC on Nov. 13 2011 (by Fabio Luisi, Vienna Symphony. And as my point, anyway, in introducing the thread was finding some lesser-known nuggets( or possibles) in US concerts amidst the often-performed (if sometimes wonderful nonetheless, e.g. a good or great Beethoven 9!, and sometimes not so much so..) works, I'm not interested in the nationality of the performers ;) )

Arbuckle

Kansas City: World premieres by Chen Yi Sept 23-25, Daniel Kellogg Mar 30-Apr 1, Stephen Hartke Jun 15-17

Inaugurating new hall (and new 5548 pipe Casavant-Freres organ--St. Saens Sym no. 3 June 15-17), other big pieces German Requiem, Resurrection Sym, and Beethoven No. 9. No other huge surprises or terribly unsungs besides a piece by Jake Heggie, but under Michael Stern last 6 yrs, I think, has certainly become an orchestra to reckon with.
Premiered Hartke and Dorman pieces last year.

Jeff Eldridge

The Seattle Symphony, under new music director Ludovic Morlot and various guest conductors, will be performing these works that may be of interest:

GULDA: Concerto for Cello and Wind Orchestra [9/17]
FRANK ZAPPA: Dupree's Paradise from The Perfect Stranger [9/23-25]
HENRI DUTILLEUX: L'arbre des songes ("The Tree of Dreams")
OLIVER KNUSSEN: Violin Concerto [11/17-19]
LUKE BEDFORD: Outblaze the Sky [11/17-19]
JOHN ADAMS: Doctor Atomic Symphony [1/5-7]
CHRISTOPHER ROUSE: Infernal Machine [4/12-14]
HENRI DUTILLEUX: Symphony No. 1 [4/19-21]
DAMIR IMERI: Za Simon [4/19-21]

The Gulda, with Joshua Roman as soloist, will be broadcast live on KING-FM this Saturday at 7:00 p.m. local time.

eschiss1

I did notice a few Dutilleux works - L'arbre each time I think? (violin concerto, that is...) or perhaps Tout un monde lointain (the cello concerto-more-or-less that is) also... - played by different orchestras at about the same time, I think, sometime in this next season?... (perhaps there's an anniversary- whether or not so, I welcome this, I like the music of his, earlier and later, that I have heard. I hope Métaboles figures in someone's schedules; yes, it's been recorded a lot, but in my opinion it's good!!.)
Eric

eschiss1

Hrm. No sooner do I mention Rozsa's string trio in another subforum here than I see that it and Korngold's piano trio are the main items in a Tucson Arizona concert next May (http://www.scchamberseries.org/masterpiece.htm) - with some other nice things in the concerts before that one. Admittedly, exceptions-to-the-rule of the sort I was fishing for in the USA programming doldrums are easier to find in chamber music series (there are plenty of good chamber music concerts- even some good orchestral concerts - up the block from me at the university and elsewhere in town- it's my fault, I say without sarcasm of any kind, that I attend so very few, and I enjoy (almost) every one I do go to... anyway. continuing...)  - still, nice to see.