News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

von Hausegger this Sunday in NYC

Started by edurban, Wednesday 11 November 2009, 02:35

Previous topic - Next topic

edurban

New York area fans of the Natursymphonie (and who isn't!) are reminded that American Symphony Orchestra will give a performance of von Hausegger's symphonic poem 'Wieland der Schmeid' at Avery Fisher Hall, Lincoln Center this Sunday.

As if that weren't tempting enough, also included are a Thuille Overture, the American premiere of Robert Fuchs' 1st Serenade, the Goetz Violin Concerto, and the Strauss Symphony, Op. 12. 

Here's the link:

http://www.americansymphony.org/concert.php?id=43

David

JimL

That Leon Botstein!  We've just got to get him on this Forum!  I don't know if the von Hausegger is bigger news than the Goetz VC or the Fuchs Serenade!  And maybe we can pass the name Mira Wang on to Mike Spring.

Steven Eldredge

I was at this concert today and I thought it wonderful! Extremely generous in length and quite often stirringly played. I enjoyed the von Hausegger symphonic poem 'Wieland der Schmied' immensely. The Goetz concerto is a lovely piece and the Strauss Symphony Opus 12 has some glorious moments.

Leon Botstein is really a treasure for those of us who love the by-ways of 19th century music.

Was anyone else there?

Steven in NYC

edurban

Hi Steven, I was there.  Were you by any chance the fellow at the preconcert lecture who asked the question about academics/composers and referenced Fuchs, D'Indy and other favorites of this forum?  I thought, that man should be posting on Unsung Composers, if he isn't already...

I echo your thoughts about the program.  Loved the von Hausegger--hung on the composer's every thought--someone please record it soon.  The Goetz concerto is a piece of real inspiration and the soloist (unknown to me) played with fire and feeling.  The Fuchs is utterly charming, and the orchestra really seemed to enjoy playing it (good parts for the 2nd violins, violas and cellos, for a change!)  My wife's favorite was the Thuille overture, and I was inspired to go listen to other examples of his music (I've only heard a chamber piece for piano and winds...)  The Strauss Symphony started out like gangbusters--so many ideas and such energy--(the Scherzo made me think of those diabolical Raff scherzos) but after 2 movements I felt young Strauss' inspiration had run its course.  I'd love to hear the first 2 movements again, though.

Thank God for Botstein.  May he live and conduct forever!

David

edurban

On a whim i just googled 'von Hausegger wieland der schmied' and found the full score on GoogleBooks!  Wish I had thought of this before the concert...Anyway, for those who are interested:

]http://books.google.com/books?id=WnERAAAAYAAJ&dq=von+hausegger+wieland+der+schmied&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=cvQeMS45Ta&sig=f6tQM5r0br3UY-Y_KgwoZzo7ujw&hl=en&ei=2qoAS-_KLNXYlAeqj6mLCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAkQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=&f=false[url][/url]

Seems like a lot of code, wonder if the link works...

David

JimL

Steven Eldredge

David,

No, unfortunately I was not at the pre-concert lecture. I was next door at the Met locked away in my studio practicing Humperdinck like mad until just a few minutes before the concert, when I went dashing over to Avery Fisher.

I spent my work day today with Puccini and Mozart, but I am still thinking about how much I enjoyed yesterday's concert.

Steven

edurban

It's always breathtaking to hear Botstein talk.  He managed to reference all of Romantic history painting, 19th century Polish epic novelists, GB Shaw, a brace of philosophers, you name it.  A brilliant man, and a commited, dynamic and highly musical conductor.  We forgive the occasional flubs...

Did you hear his Fervaal?  Or Huguenots last summer?

David