Dobrzynski & Lessel Piano Concertos from Howard Shelley

Started by Mark Thomas, Thursday 15 December 2011, 07:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Howard Shelley plays and conducts the Sinfonia Varsovia in Lessel's Piano Concerto and Dobrzynski's Second Piano Concerto on a new recording from the (new to me ) Frederick Chopin Institute's own NIF label. Details here. It's also available from jpc, I see.

Peter1953

It's most likely that this CD will be my first must-buy next year. I guess both the Lessel and Dobrzyński's op. 2 are thrilling and melodious showpieces, the Dobrzyński probably more in the style of his famous friend.

thalbergmad

I have a large soft spot for the Dobrzynski and have played through it a few times. It is perhaps as close as you will get to Chopin without actually being Chopin.

It is a good early morning concerto. Something to give you a lift before before the horrors of work.

Thal

Alan Howe

eschiss1

In my opinion he's the best pianist to have recorded either concerto so far (I haven't yet heard the Lessel but have heard the Dobrzynski concerto and seen a few other works in score.)

JimL

Howard Shelley and Oliver Triendl are the latter-day Michael Pontis.  Only they're more versatile.  I still wish Shelley would play in concert more of the stuff he records.  If he's such good friends with Jorge Mester, who recorded so many unsung works when he was conducting the Louisville Orchestra, why don't they do more unsung works with the Pasadena Symphony, where I believe Mester is now?

markniew

Polish label DUX has recently issued a CD with chamber music by Lessel and Dobrzynski (plus Kilar) - perhaps interesting for those who liked the pf concertos mentioned above

http://www.dux.pl/catalogue/results/details/?pid=560

Alan Howe

My copy of Howard Shelley's new CD has arrived and I can report some very favourable first reactions on my part. The Lessel is written in what one might call the classical style brillant (it dates from 1801), whereas the Dobrzynski (1824) seems within touching distance of Chopin. Add lovely, spacious recording quality, alert orchestral playing from the Sinfonia Varsovia and the usual pianistic panache from Shelley and you have a very attractive overall package. Could almost be a Hyperion RPC issue...

Peter1953

It was not my first purchase this year, but now I'm awaiting my copy and will respond in due course.

markniew

Fully agree! yes, performance is very good and the music also very nice. Especially I like the Lessel.
As to Dobrzynski it seems to be the 2nd commercial issue on CD. In 90s the Selene label issued it with Jerzy Sterczyński.
Lessel had a little bite more recordings - to my knowledge 3: with Aldona Budrewicz-Jacobson (Re.Cord.Art.), Jerzy Sterczyński (chant du monde) and Emilian Madey (Acte Prealable).
And there were also radio archive recordings - only 2 or 3 of each.

JimL

The excerpts from jpc sound delightful.  For a second I thought the orchestration of the Lessel was strings only, but from the finale it sounds like it is indeed scored for full orchestra.