News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Overview of 2009

Started by Peter1953, Friday 25 December 2009, 10:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter1953

Our Forum has undoubtedly enriched my life, because classical music fulfills for various reasons a significant role in my life. And I'm always eager to learn of unsung musical treasures. There's so much more than Van Beethoven, Brahms, Chopin, Rachmaninov, Tchaikovsky, just to name a few.

Many members came up with ideas, useful discussions, recommendations, and so on. As a result I've bought more CD's in this year than ever before in one year. And I'm very pleased with that. I've learned beautiful music by composers thusfar unknown to me. I had a lot of memorable listening experiences. I often wondered how it is possible that many of these composers have become so grossly neglected, in many cases quite soon after their death.

For me 2009 is the year of Bortkiewicz, Von Herzogenberg and Rufinatscha. But also of Theodor Kirchner with his lyrical, dreamy, rich piano pieces, which reminds me so much of Schumann. And Raff's delicious Grand Quintuor and Suite for Piano and Orchestra. I must mention Atterberg and Draeseke, music that takes more time to fully appreciate it. And how about Thomas Schmidt-Kowalski, who was so very kind to give CD's with his beautiful music for free to us?
But there's a real winner in 2009. An absolute Number One musical treasure of the highest calibre, at least to me. And I've learned it thanks to a friend who gave me a disc, containing a recording of the broadcast of this thrilling and glorious music. It's Frederic Cliffe's Violin Concerto. This works gives me from start to finish "goose bumps".

What is your musical experience this year? What are your discoveries? Do you have a winning piece of music?

Alan Howe

No time to give an overview - yet!!

But my winner for 2009 would be: Noskowski Symphony No.1 (probably!)

Mark Thomas

A fuller retrospective later over the weekend - I've only just finished Christmas lunch.

My winner for 2009? Being naughty (but truthful), it's something which I've recently had the privilege of hearing, but which won't be available on CD until early in 2010...

Oh, and the composer's name begins with R (now there's a surprise!)

Alan Howe

Rubinstein, Rufinatscha, Reinecke, Rheinberger, perhaps?
D. Raeseke, even?  ;)

thalbergmad

Memorable CD's for me would be the Thalberg Etudes, concerto's and sonatas by Woelfl and way out in front, the Schytte piano concerto.

I have listened to the Rufinatscha PC this morning, but it left me unmoved. Perhaps I will give it another go mid January when I have sobered up.

Favourite you tube musical moment would have to be Alexei Grynyuk's performance of Liszt HR6.

Thal

Pengelli

I enjoyed the Josef Holbrooke cd from cpo,Stanley Bate's 3rd from Dutton,Raff's 3rd & 5th from Tudor,which I had never heard before,but were brought to my attention by your posts & the Raff website,and which I would now rate amongst the 19th C's best & the Testament release of Brian's Gothic.My cassette of the Boult got chewed up (not by me,I hasten to add).

JimL

Quote from: thalbergmad on Friday 25 December 2009, 17:37I have listened to the Rufinatscha PC this morning, but it left me unmoved. Perhaps I will give it another go mid January when I have sobered up.

Thal
It would be interesting to find out how many of you guys come around to it, and how many of you don't.  It took me a few listens to really warm up to it (about three), but now I can't seem to get enough of it.

Alan Howe

I think you sum up Rufinatscha's PC very well, Jim. It's not Romantic flim-flam: it's music that demands to be heard and re-heard. But when you start to get it, there seems to be more and more to get, as it were...

Marcus

My selections for CD of the year is the Symphony in E minor op31 by Ignaz Brull.
(Cameo Classics CC9027-CD) . I had previously heard Brull's Piano Concertos 1+2, but never knew he has written a symphony. It is a real find.
Also worthy of mention is the Salomon Jadassohn Symphony no1 in C major op24.
(Cameo Classics CC9026-D) I can't wait to hear the other 3 symphonies.
I am a lover of late romantic symphonies, and look forward to more offerings from such excellent labels as Sterling, CPO in particular. Bring on 2010 !

JimL

Quote from: thalbergmad on Friday 25 December 2009, 17:37...I have listened to the Rufinatscha PC this morning, but it left me unmoved. Perhaps I will give it another go mid January when I have sobered up...

Thal
Sobered up yet, Thal?  ;)