Glazunov box from Serebrier

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 21 March 2012, 22:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

MDT are announcing the forthcoming release of Serebrier's complete Glazunov recordings in an 8-CD box for the miserly sum of £27.75:
http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//2564664674.htm
If you haven't got them, this is must-buy!

TerraEpon

Oh yes, I've was hoping they'd put these in a box set. Now I can retire the Brilliant set (though buying a couple of the individual Chandos CDs with the cantatas...)

mbhaub

I knew I should have held out and waited for something like this! Oh well. Not too long ago people were asking  a lot of money for the OOP cd of the 5th symphony, probably more than the MDT asking price.

Mark Thomas

With uncharacteristic caution, I held off buying more than one of the individual Serebrier CDs as they were issued, so now I am smugness personified. Very good news indeed.

Alan Howe

PJ

Please could anyone with some of Serebrier's and Otaka's recordings comment about their relative merits?

petershott@btinternet.com

Good question! I already had the BIS Otaka box (which can be had pretty cheaply). I've enjoyed the symphonies there enormously, and have never been aware of any shortcomings in terms of performances or recordings.

Then I started noticing all the enthusiastic remarks about Serebrier made by other members. So, yes, those (individual) CDs were added to the 'wants list' and gradually acquired over several months.

And guess what? Well, I enjoyed those recordings enormously as well. Maybe I'm just a thoroughly uncritical Glazunov listener. Maybe Serebrier is a tad more dramatic than Otaka, but then Otaka has the edge in detail.

Others will disagree and tell you that one is somehow far superior to the other. In my view, anyone should be hugely satisfied with either set of recordings. Being somewhat of a glutton I've also got all the Polyansky recordings, and I'm also happy with those.

What an unhelpful post, eh?

And for real satisfaction that will not annoy the neighbours, do try the Utrecht Quartet recordings of the string quartets that this month conclude with the final issue on MDG. Superb stuff!

PJ

Thank you - I'll investigate both!

;D

albion

This set 'nails' Glazunov for me as a truly wonderful (and distinctive) composer of colourful and (more importantly) cogent symphonies.

;D

Having lived with the Jarvi (complete on Orfeo) and Polyansky (almost complete on Chandos and, latterly, Brilliant) cycles, the superior sound and structural integrity of Serebrier creates a marvellous listening experience. This budget box is one of the most outstanding bargains available - great performances of the concertos, The Seasons, Raymonda (extended suite) and The Sea are a great thick wedge of icing on the already-michelin-starred cake. As a supplement I will definitely be keeping the Polyansky set for the cantatas, Concert Waltzes and Characteristic Suite, but there is no better (and unlikely to be a better) 'library choice' for the symphonies than Serebrier.

There is a spot-on review here (from Amazon USA) - http://www.amazon.com/Glazunov-Symphonies-Concertos-Rachel-Barton-Pine/product-reviews/B006W7SV5Q/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

BFerrell

Glazunov cannot be performed laconically or without emotion.  Most sets have left me cold. Jarvi was dull, Naxos perfunctory and Chandos was both.   I found Fedoseyev completely without peer in these marvelous works. Plenty of fire and Russian "spit".  Emphasis on the RUSSIAN instead of the romantic aspect.   Only Serebrier has come even close with better sound. I still prefer the old Soviet brass ripping into the notes though.

minacciosa

Quote from: Tapiola on Wednesday 30 May 2012, 06:49
Glazunov cannot be performed laconically or without emotion.  Most sets have left me cold. Jarvi was dull, Naxos perfunctory and Chandos was both.   I found Fedoseyev completely without peer in these marvelous works. Plenty of fire and Russian "spit".  Emphasis on the RUSSIAN instead of the romantic aspect.   Only Serebrier has come even close with better sound. I still prefer the old Soviet brass ripping into the notes though.
Yes, Fedoseyev was great, and also Svetlanov. Jarvi was hit and miss, but I thought his 4, 5 were very good, and his 8 not bad. It's in 8 that Svetlanov really shines; it's the best of all. Hated the Naxos and Chandos sets. Sounded like they just didn't know what to do.

What I find interesting is that a composer who has received so much unjustified criticism should be so well served on disc. It's as if the public always knew he was a great composer, and the critics just didn't get it, or want to.

FBerwald

Quote from: minacciosa on Thursday 31 May 2012, 05:15
Quote from: Tapiola on Wednesday 30 May 2012, 06:49
......... Jarvi was dull............
.....................Jarvi was hit and miss, but I thought his 4, 5 were very good...........

What I find interesting is that a composer who has received so much unjustified criticism should be so well served on disc. It's as if the public always knew he was a great composer, and the critics just didn't get it, or want to.

Jarvi's Glazunov Dull...Hit and miss? ?? I always thought that Jarvi set was one of the very best beside the Serebrier.

... I agree with the other sentiment, I have introduced a number of friends to Glazunov symphonies and they ave all loved it! I hope its Glazunov's time finally!!! Now if only some of his Symphonies and piano concertos would appear in concert halls.

jerfilm

The Minnesota did the Violin Concerto a couple of weeks ago.  Not a very passionate reading by the concert mistress.  But that's about it for Alexander here.  Still, better than nothing, I guess......

Jerry

minacciosa

When I was in a large southwestern orchestra, Walter Weller came and conducted Glazunov's 5th. It was a hit with the audience, and that performance remains the only time I've ever heard a Glazunov symphony in concert.