Hugo Kauder trio on Pavlik

Started by eschiss1, Thursday 14 July 2011, 11:06

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

I've been at least off-and-on interested in Hugo Kauder's (1888-1972) music since I skimmed a later string quartet of his (poss. no. 20?) in facsimile at the New York Public Library years back. (While http://hugokauder.org notes "All of Kauder's original writings and manuscripts have also recently been accepted by the New York Public Library's Music Division.", this was before that by some time, and this work was I believe one of the rare published ones, probably no.11, as the others listed by NYPL are either unpublished or nos. 11, 13 and 16, and 13 and 16 were published in 2004; fairly sure this was before then. All, anycase, published by Seesaw Music in in manuscript facsimile.)  Seemed intriguing. A trio of his is announced for release in August with works by Klughardt and Robert Kahn on the label Pavlik at MDT. 

This is not btw the first recording of Kauder's music-the first 4 quartets were recorded on Centaur in 2007.

There's a Kauder site

(Also, string quartet no.1 published 1922, US-only since not hostable in CA or EU, at IMSLP.

petershott@btinternet.com

Poking around in a never ending search to find more Klughardt, I came across this disc containing Hugo Kauder's Trio for Oboe, Viola & Piano of 1916. Recorded by the Czech company Pavlik in 2010, with support from the Hugo Kauder Society.

A disc I happily add to my library, and no fear of it gathering dust. And my re-discovery of Kauder shows that there is (for good or ill) an inexhaustible number of unsung composers out there awaiting a wider hearing. I say 're-discovery' because I'm already familiar with the CD of the four quartets performed by the Euclid Quartet on Centaur (wonder why they call themselves the 'Euclid'? Are there other quartets named after alternative geometries? No matter!)

I don't hesitate to commend Hugo Kauder to all.

And Klughardt? The Kauder disc also contains Klughardt's Five Fantasy Pieces after Lenau for Piano, Oboe and Viola, Op. 28 of 1872. A lovely work, but maybe it is the Kauder I'm going to hoard away on my desert island.

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Ok, all that stuff I just wrote was in the first post in this topic (oops) though it was probably no.15 of 1955 (published 1988) (I think in E modal, 2 movements) I skimmed at NYPL, not no.20 about which I doubt I know anything yet...
I will say I hope his later output (which I don't -think- has seen much exposure on recordings yet?) will see more- the one work I recall seeing was - again, I seem to recall- more austere in some ways than the oboe concerto or the first quartet for example, but seemed (still? also? and? ... ) very interesting - and maybe more characteristic/mature- certainly I'd like to hear more of those later works too.
Hee. I forgot I -started- this topic, so I'm retelling the story I told in the first post- let's delete that section of this one... (Attention span much? :( .)

Well, there was a quartet named the "Lysenko" quartet that one could have imagined - incorrectly- to be named after biologist Trofim Lysenko with his "alternative" evolutionary theories!