Started by Dundonnell, Wednesday 06 June 2012, 15:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

ALPHONS DIEPENBROCK: A CATALOGUE OF THE ORCHESTRAL MUSIC

1882:             Academic Festival March for orchestra
1884/1907:"Mignon" for contralto and orchestra: 4 minutes
1885/1903:"Avondzang" for high voice and orchestra: 4 minutes
1886/1907:"Der Konig in Thule" for contralto and orchestra: 5 minutes
1887/96:   "Les elfes" for soprano, baritone, female choir and orchestra: 13 minutes
1894/1913:Kyrie and Gloria for soprano, contralto, tenor, baritone, chorus and orchestra: 17 minutes
1895:          "Reyzangen uit Gysbrecht van Aemstel" for chorus and orchestra: 37 minutes     +  (Donemus Composers Voice cd)
1897/1907:"Hinuber wall' ich" for high voice and orchestra: 5 minutes
1897/1908:Te Deum for soprano, contralto, tenor, baritone, chorus and orchestra: 25 minutes    +  (Q Disc cd)
1898/1902:"Abendmahlshymne" ("Wenige wissen") for soprano or tenor and orchestra: 9 minutes    + (Brilliant Classics cd)
1898/1904-05/
     17:           Hymn for Violin and Orchestra: 12 minutes   + (Chandos and Brilliant Classics cds)
1898/1906:"Geistliches Lied "Wenn ich ibn nur habe" for soprano and orchestra: 6 minutes
                      Sonnet "Ik ben in eenzaamheid niet meer a lleen" for high voice and orchestra: 4 minutes
                     "Lied der Spinnerin" for soprano and string orchestra: 6 minutes
1898/1907:"Ecoutez la chanson bien douce" for mezzo-soprano and orchestra:5 minutes
                   "Clair de lune" for soprano and orchestra: 15 minutes
1899/1902:"Hymne an die Nacht" ("Muss immer der Morgen wiederkommen") for contralto and orchestra: 15 minutes   + (Chandos and Brilliant Classics cds
1899/1915:"Hymne an die Nacht" ("Gehoben ist der Stein") for soprano and orchestra: 16 minutes   +  (Donemus cd)
1900/03:"Zij sluimert" for tenor and orchestra: 7 minutes
1903/14:  "Vondels vaart naar Agrippine" for baritone and orchestra: 15 minutes
1906:        "Hymne aan Rembrandt" for soprano, female choir and orchestra: 24 minutes    +   (Donemus cd)
1906/07:"Les chats" for low voice and orchestra: 3 minutes
1906/18:"Im grossen Schweigen" for baritone and orchestra: 20 minutes    + (Chandos, Decca and Brilliant Classics cds)
1907:      "Receeuillement" for low voice and orchestra: 8 minutes
1908:      "Der Abend" for soprano and orchestra: 5 minutes
1909-10:Concert Suite "Marsyas ("The Magic Fountain"): 33 minutes     + (Chandos and Brilliant Classics cds)
1909/16:"Puisque l'aube grandit" for mezzo-soprano and orchestra: 5 minutes
1910:      "T. Vitali's Ciaconna" for Violin and Orchestra: 12 minutes
1911:      "Die Nacht" for mezzo-soprano or contralto and orchestra: 16 minutes     + (Chandos and Brilliant Classics cds)
1913:      "Lydische Nacht" for baritone and orchestra: 18 minutes  +  (Olympia and Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra cds)
1917:      Overture "The Birds": 10 minutes   +  (Donemus, Brilliant Classics and Chandos cds)
                "Lied van den hop" for tenor and orchestra: 4 minutes

(a Symphonic Suite was arranged by Eduard Reiser from the 1919-20 Incidental Music to "Elektra": 19 minutes)   +  (Donemus, Brilliant Classics and Chandos cds)

Sources:

http://www.alphonsdiepenbrock.nl/

http://www.geheugenvannederland.nl/?/en/collecties/muziekmanuscripten_van_alphons_diepenbrock_1862-1921,_componist

Peter1953

Colin, you're doing a fantastic job. But... what are your sources? Is it possible to add sources to your catalogues as well? It gives those who are interested the possibility to go for further searching.
I'm interested in Diepenbrock: he was a very erudite person. His music is fascinating.

Dundonnell

For Diepenbrock I used-

http://www.alphonsdiepenbrock.nl/

http://www.geheugenvannederland.nl/?/en/collecties/muziekmanuscripten_van_alphons_diepenbrock_1862-1921,_componist

I am happy to try to add sources in future :) I have gone back and done so for all the Dutch composers whose orchestral music I have catalogued.

Sometimes the source which should be most useful turns out to be disappointingly vague or incomplete. This is proving to be the case for Cornelis Dopper :(

http://www.cornelisdopper.nl/   is a disappointing site so I am having to use the collection of Dopper's manuscripts at http://www.nederlandsmuziekinstituut.nl/en/collections/312

alberto

"Im Grossen Schweigen" exists also as a Decca Cd (H.Hagegard, R.Chailly, RCO).

Christo

1895:  "Rey van Edelingen" is in reality the title of one of the four parts of "Reyzangen uit Gysbrecht van Aemstel" [Choruses from GvA] on texts by Joost van den Vondel for chorus and orchestra, 37 minutes. There's a performance by fours soloists, the Netherlands Radio Choir and the Netherlands RSO under Ed Spanjaard on Composers Voice CV121.

The same cd with the same performers doing the 1906 "Hymne aan Rembrandt" for soprano, female choir and orchestra, which takes 24'16 minutes here.

Taking another cd from my shelves, Donemus Composers' Voice Hightlights CV50, I find it contains live performances by Riccardo Chailly and the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra of:

• Hymne an die Nacht (Arleen Auger soprano, RCO under Riccardo Chailly)
  • Overture 'De Vogels' [The Birds], RCO under Riccardo Chailly
  • Symphonic Suite 'Elektra', RCO under Riccardo Chailly.

Richard Leigh

I have a recording of "Wenn Ich Ihn Nur Haben" which I must have copied from a record years ago. It's the piece which started my enthusiasm for Diepenbrock's music, but I can't remember where I got it from. Maybe an anthology on an old Donemus vinyl album? Can anyone tell me?  It really ought to be reissued, or recorded again.
The issue of the recent 8-disc box is a miracle. Every home should have one.

M. Yaskovsky

The Dutch record label ETCETERA released an Anniversary Edition on 8 CD's and 1 DVD with an almost complete overview of his works. It has recordings done between 1960 and 2012. KTC 1435 is their catalogue number.
The Elektra Suite was by the way arranged by Eduard Reeser.