Some Ferdinand Hiller piano works...

Started by eschiss1, Thursday 07 February 2013, 03:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

Could the A minor Symphony be a myth resulting from an error perpetuated in Grove?  This sort of thing is not unusual among unsungs. However, if this symphony existed (perhaps now lost) as also the Symphony in G major "Im Freien" (perhaps also lost), then we can say that Hiller wrote at least 6 symphonies: F minor; A minor; G major "Im Freien"; C major (Frankfurt MS HS86); E minor (Frankfurt MS HS87, wrongly described as in C major) and the E minor Symphony, Op. 67 published by Schott.

eschiss1

hrm. the Im Freien was noted (I think in Geschichte der Gewandhausconcerte zu Leipzig vom 25. November 1781 bis 25. November 1881 - will have to recheck) as having been performed- maybe premiered, but I'm not sure, and not necessarily composed- as late as 1852. Doesn't necessarily mean it was a late work, though.

Hilleries

I wonder... does the Gewandhaus keeps it's own library?

eschiss1

and what were the history of the buildings etc. during WW2 if so... hrm.

eschiss1

Hrm...

Gewandhaus-Archiv and an email address by which to contact them?

eschiss1

Hrm. The Gewandhaus book also mentions a symphony in C by Hiller performed in 1877- either the 1830 one, or a new one (am guessing the latter).

Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin has quite a few estimated?-late-1820s works by Hiller- some incomplete-seeming- scanned in (no symphonies, I think, but overtures, piano sonatas, etc.) on their digital scans-site, too. (And later works published and in manuscript also, e.g. some oratorios.)