Joseph Kuffner (1776-1856)

Started by John H White, Wednesday 13 January 2010, 15:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

May I suggest the Dane, C.E.F. Weyse (1774-1842)? His seven symphonies all date from the 1790s, although No.5 was revised a lot later. The idiom is Haydn/Mozart, I suppose, but the writing is extremely felicitous and constantly entertaining. What a shame that he stopped writing symphonies so early! There is an excellent set of three CDs on the Dacapo label.

Audio samples are available here:
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Christoph-Ernst-Friedrich-Weyse-Symphonien-Nr-1-3/hnum/7147498
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Christoph-Ernst-Friedrich-Weyse-Symphonien-Nr-4-5/hnum/7287547
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Christoph-Ernst-Friedrich-Weyse-Symphonien-Nr-6-7/hnum/7556243

Marcus

Hello Peter1953,
Re  the Rochus Dedler(1779-1822)  Symphony in D. I have this on CD (Musica Bavarica MB 75116).
Although it was written in 1815, his style is this symphony is very similar to the middle Haydn & middle Mozart symphonies, probably closer to Haydn. Not unique or distinctive, but very pleasant music all the same. It is a 4mvt work. (6'13,"3'19", 4'04", 4'26").Also on the disc are symphonies by K.J.Toeschi (1732-88),P.P.Sales (1729-97) & W.A.Mozart's K19a.
A more Beethovian symphony is the Symphony no3 in E flat op84 (1825), by T.M Eberwein (1775-1831), albeit, early Beethoven. Eberwein's symphonic style is definately  early 19th century, and his treatment of the orchestra, to me at least, indicates his love of Beethoven, Haydn & Schubert. It is in 4 mvts .(11'55",7'38",6'00", 6'32"). 32'15"The symphony is on  Weimarer Klassik 2 ,AMU CD #081-2.
Marcus.

eschiss1

Re contemporaries of Beethoven, I like what I've heard (mostly over Concertzender Hilversum) by Johann Wilhelm Wilms (1772-1847) ...

chill319

I've been similarly impressed by Joseph Woelfl. Much of our received information about these Beethoven contemporaries comes from the same period and is about as accurate as the story of George Washington chopping down a cherry tree.  Not.
Ries is another I would suggest as being much more than a no-hit wonder.
Lastly, if the two symphonies (1813, 1815) are as good as the second piano sonata, Fedinand Herold, of all people, deserves a serious listen.

Mark Thomas

The two Hérold symphonies are (or were) available on a Dynamic CD (CDS 282). I haven't played them in years, but my memory is of jolly, but very slight, pieces, far short of the quality of his Zampa Overture, with which they are coupled.

Marcus

The Wolfl Symphonies in G minor & C major are on Caro Mitis #CM 0022005, and available from Presto,MDT, JPC, Archiv & HB Direct. Also on this disc in the Grand Duo for Piano & Cello in D minor op31.
Marcus.

JimL

IIRC from the old Forum there was talk of recording Herold's piano concertos (I believe there were two).  I think the gist was that someone was going to record them, but the disc with the symphonies tanked, so the project was never done.