Pierre Joseph Guillaume Zimmermann 1785-1853

Started by giles.enders, Saturday 23 February 2013, 10:38

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Pierre Joseph Guillaume Zimmermann  17.3.1785- 29.10.1853  Born and died in Paris

He was the son of a piano manufacturer. Studied at The Paris Conservatoire under Francois Boildieu, and Jean Baptiste Rey and later with Charles Simon Catel and Luigi Cherubini.  From 1821 he was professor of piano at the conservatoire, a post he held for thirty-two years.  Among his pupils were Alkan, Ambroise Thomas, Georges Bizet, Antoine Francois Marmotel and Charles Gounod; the last becoming his son-in-law who had a very unhappy marriage.  They had two daughters; Juliette and Anna.

Orchestral

Piano Concerto No.1 in D major
Piano Concerto No.2 in C major  Op.13

Piano

Variations on 'S'il est vrai que d'estre deux  Op.2
Fantaisie on the air 'Salut'  Op.3
Sonata  Op.5
Variations on 'Guardami un poco'  Op.6
Romance Favourite de Blangini avec dix variations brillante.  Op.7
Badinage on 'Au Claur de la lune'  Op.8
Fantasie Brillante sur le compliment d'Emma  Op.11
Variations on 'Le bouquet de romarin' Op.12
Rondo on the French air ' C'est la Solitaire  Op.14
Piece Op.19
Twenty four etudes Op.21
'La Gasconne' bluette with variations
Quatre Bagatelles  Wo.

Song

'Croyez-vous qu'elle m'aime encore ? ' 1824
'Mon fils set la  1828

Vocal

Mass for four voices and orchestra  1846
Requiem Heroic 
Pie Jesu  1853

Opera

'L'enlevement'  1830
'Nausicaa'

eschiss1

RISM btw lists a ms. copy of the Pie Jesu (presumably the same one?) and another ms.copy, of his Op.11, "Die heilige Maria", with text by Offermanns, a cantata for "Soli, gemischten Chor, Frauen- und Männerchor | mit | Klavier- u. Harmoniumbegleitung" (both @ Donaueschingen). (published 1898 in a piano reduction (specifically) as " Kantate für Soli, gemischten Chor, Frauen- und Männerchor mit Pfte und Harmonium, Deklamation und 6 lebenden Bildern." by Schwann.)

eschiss1

Also taught Josef Wieniawski and was a friend of Litolff, I see.

thalbergmad

I have copies of both of the piano concertos.

The 1st is in D major and is a 2 piano version arranged by Ravina. I cannot make out the publisher but it has "Janet" in there somewhere.

The 2nd is in C major and is a solo version marked as Op.13. It is dedicated to Mademoiselle Montebello.

I have no idea about any full scores or parts.

Thal

thalbergmad

The Op.11 missing from the initial list is titled Fantaisie Brillante Sur le Compliment d'Emma. They appear to be variations on themes by Rossini.

The Op.7 is Romance Favorite de Blangini avec dix variations brillantes.

There is another piece for solo piano WoO titled Quatre Bagatelles.

That is the extent of my Zimmermann file which I have just realised has H Zimmermans and BJ Zimmermans included.

Filing ain't me strong point.

Thal

eschiss1

So there are two Op.11s, or the Heilige Maria Op.11 is by another J. Zimmermann (published in 1898, late after Pierre J. Zimmermann's life, as it was? Though several of his works during his life were published as "J. Zimmermann" too- unless that was another contemporary with a "J." initial too, of course. Guesses from initials are a huge, insufficiently avoidable and troublesome bane...)

(Have a look at musicsack.com sometime - though it contains some duplicate entries for the same person- to see how many people had similar names, the same surname (even rather unusual surnames...))