News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Opus 1

Started by chill319, Thursday 07 March 2013, 01:35

Previous topic - Next topic

semloh

I agree that the Bronsart trio is very impressive, but I think my favourite Op.1 chamber work would probably be the gorgeous Piano Quartet in A minor by Suk, just ahead of the beautiful String Quartet in A minor by Svendsen.

For a concerto, it's Stenhammar's first piano concerto (I defy anyone to resist that Andante!), and when it comes to orchestral Opus Ones there is no doubt - for me, it's Sullivan's incidental music to The Tempest. Gade's Concert Overture - Echoes of Ossian and Cliffe's Symphony No.1 in C minor are amazing Op.1s, and follow some distance behind....  :)

Ilja

Allow me to nominate Atterberg's Rhapsody for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 1. Not a bad start to a career.

eschiss1

(This really should be in the "other forum", one notes.) I haven't heard it and I doubt it's been recorded, but a historically important opus 1, I think, would be Ernst Naumann's- the first sonata (intended primarily) for (standard) viola* and piano ever to be published (1854). (Mendelssohn's C minor sonata was composed before Naumann was born, but not published until a century and more afterwards. Beware that tendency to confuse composition and publication dates in worklists, etc.)

*as against viola d'amore, "viola da gamba" (which is not a viola), etc. Also not counting Onslow's sonatas for violin (or cello or viola) and piano, and other sonatas with viola alternates... (the Naumann has a violin alternate, I think- haven't seen it yet, but such is the description I've seen.) Such music as I have seen and heard (a quintet, thanks to Matesic) by Naumann encourages me to want to hear the viola sonata, anycase,  not just because I used to be a (poor...) amateur violist.

eschiss1

It's mentioned in another thread that Peterson-Berger's opus 1 is a violin sonata (just recorded). Hugo Alfven's opus 1 is a violin sonata too; the score is available, and I know it's available on recording- has anyone heard it, any impressions? How good an entry-work is Novak's first piano trio (1892) (op.1 in G minor- the trio quasi una ballata trio op.27 in D minor is his trio no.2, that is...)? I'm curious... :) (in Novak's case, as with Ferdinand Hiller, there seem to be quite a few works preceding, but that's op.1)

(Edit - op.27. Novak's op.22 is of course the first of his three string quartets.)

Hrm. I was going to mention Vitols' symphony in E minor, but IMSLP's list seems pretty sure that Vitols' symphony is w/o opus number, and gives opus 1 to his piano sonata in B-flat minor. (Has that been recorded, I wonder? Ah. Yes, on Melodiia, in the 1970s, and I think on CD in 2006 also- there's a video on YouTube... The score (pub.1886 by Belaieff) is uploaded, anycase... apologies for throwing a couple of things out, though hoping that those who've heard them have a notion which really belong in a best-of list...)

(... among most impressive post-Baroque opus 1s sung or unsung, Schubert's song Erlkönig probably deserves its turn too, though one forgets of late that it was indeed his opus 1.)

Peter1953

I've just listened to Tovey's delightful Piano Trio in B minor, Opus 1.

FBerwald

Carl Nielsen's Little Suite for Strings, Op. 1. Hauntingly beautiful and a mature Op. 1!

chill319

This forum is amazing. Such riches. Thanks, everyone.

petershott@btinternet.com

Indeed - one could almost live on all the Opus 1s mentioned here!

Just by chance I have revisited three Opus 1s in the last 2 days:

Suk: Piano Quartet in A minor (already mentioned by both Eric and Semloh - so it must be good!)

Dvorak: String Quintet 1 in A minor - a bit sneaky since it was Op 1 on the traditional catalogue, but now Burghauser 7.

And I can't resist the mention although it is not a romantic work and hence outside the scope of the forum (but forgive the rule-breaking): Britten's Sinfonia - was ever such a dazzling and technically accomplished work written by a teenager?

Hardly an example of sophisticated music criticism, but, oh golly, do not these works make one so heartily glad to be alive!

eschiss1

Bit confused about the Dvorak sometimes, since it's a posthumously-published opus 1 (not published at all I think until - 50 years ago or so?) but it's a really good piece, if, of course in part because it wasn't published, not as stunning a "hello world here I am" as some others... :)

TerraEpon

Dvorak's Op. catalog is very messy, enough that I use the B numbers as a whole.

And if you wanna go by those....B 1 is "Forget Me Not Polka" which for some reason isn't recorded (I don't have it noted as lost...). B 2 is a destroyed mass. B3  which IS recorded on both the Naxos and Brillant complete piano cycles is also a polka -- and it's a very nice little piece.
After that, 4, 5, 6 are all lost, so said Op. 1 is still the first large multi-movement work in the catalog (and interestingly, B 8 is a string quintet....B 9 is Symphony No. 1)

petershott@btinternet.com

Yes, very messy indeed.

Maybe the mistake is mine, but as B 8 I've got down the 1st String Quartet (not String Quintet).

I've got listed three String Quintets:

No. 1 is the present Op 1 = B 7 in A minor
No. 2 is Op 77 = B 49 in G major
No. 3 is Op 97 = B 180 in E flat major

Nos 1 and 3 are scored for 2 vn, 2 va & vc.
No. 2 for 2 vn, 1 va, 1 vc & double bass (though in one of my 3 recordings it is played with 2 va instead of va & db).

Whatever the messiness of the catalogue all are glorious works, and should be sung far more often. It is, in fact, a great pity that some of Dvorak is very much sung (but in my book can never be oversung), and a vast number of works (including those for solo piano) are very much undersung. I reckon that if I was restricted to a choice of just one composer to listen to in the great hereafter, then you couldn't go far wrong with Dvorak.

TerraEpon

Yeah, my  mistake. -_-