Sgambati Piano Concerto from "La Bottega Discantica"

Started by alberto, Wednesday 13 February 2013, 10:53

Previous topic - Next topic

alberto

Not so new indeed. About one year ago (and for me a Christmas Cd) a new version of Sgambati PC (alongside the old, well known here Bolet-Genesis; a French "Actes du Sud" is uneasy to find)) has been released by "La Bottega Discantica" (small Italian label). Roberto Giordano piano, Marco Guidarini cond., Orchestra "I pomeriggi musicali di Milano".The performance sounds to me good if not outsanding (in much better sound than the old Bolet).
Couplings, all for piano solo: three transcriptions by Martucci from Corelli and G.B. Martini, Sgambati's once famous "Melodie de Gluck" (a free transcription from Orpheus) and Respighi's six pieces from Ancient Airs and Dances.

Alan Howe

Thanks for the reminder. I didn't buy the CD because I don't know the orchestra; I'm rather hoping that Naxos will include the PC in their Sgambati series.

JimL

There's also this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058W7ZLC/.  Hearing this on YouTube was a revelation.  The Bolet version (the first ever recorded) was cut (the transitional tutti between first movement exposition and development, and I think, part of the development itself) and the piano part, in places, was altered by Mr. Bolet (the coda of the first movement).  Perusal of the score on IMSLP confirms that Bolet did not play the score as composed.

Alan Howe

The problem with the ASV issue is the rather weedy-sounding orchestra. We badly need a really good recording of this marvellous piece, so perhaps the subject of this thread is just that...