Hamelin, Medtner, January 2014, NYC

Started by eschiss1, Monday 06 May 2013, 03:55

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Anyone else thinking of going to Carnegie Hall January 14 2014 to hear Marc-André Hamelin (program a work by Hamelin, Schubert impromptus, and between them, Medtner's Night Wind sonata Op.25/2?

Am planning to, here.

Yes, I know he's recorded the latter- I've heard the recording, and have two (other) recordings of it - but there's often something about hearing a piece live. (And the last time I heard Hamelin live- last and only time- was very special; he played Alkan's symphony for piano- again, I've heard his Hyperion recording of it a number of times- but the live performance was also memorable and very different.)

He played it in Germany last summer, I think- and I see he's playing the same program in San Francisco on January 31 2014 as in NYC - ah. For some reason I think he is taking this sonata and his own new piece, and the Schubert, on tour. (Well, I don't mind. If it's because he thinks he has something new to say about a terrific (or terrifying, in Ogdon's hands) 30-odd-minute one (or two, depending on who you ask)-movement long sonata - then a new recording wouldn't be redundant either- says I...)
Eric