Ashton, Liddle, Stanford from Centaur

Started by eschiss1, Sunday 16 June 2013, 04:44

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

new CD announced by MDT (not that new, apologies if it's been discussed, haven't seen...) - Ashton cello sonata no.2, Stanford's cello sonata no.2, Liddle's E-flat major sonata and Elegy.

The Algernon Ashton sonatas seem to be catching on slowly...

Mark Thomas

See this thread on Toccata's Ashton Cello Sonatas recording, in which this Centaur disc is mentioned en passant several times. The Centaur performance of the Second Sonata is less lyrical and more driven than that from Toccata. It's not better, or worse, but different. The Liddle isn't much to get excited about, I'm afraid, and the Stanford is the usual quality product from that fine composer but, once again, given quite a propulsive performance.

eschiss1

ah. I thought there were two recordings of the Ashton cello sonatas (Toccata and... Dutton?) and that this was a third still (just of the 2nd, though to my mind people - and pieces - have begun to be more popular relatively when- well, one of many "signs", those works begin to appear outside of what can begin to seem somewhat specialized integral recordings and just fit into recital programs. I know that there are two other recordings of the Stanford (the no longer available ASV, and one with his other cello works?...) but - again and for the same reasons- which is why if this hadn't been noticed (except it had, so I apologize... sorry...) - I felt it worth pointing out.

Liddle's name sounds familiar. Sorry to hear about his works though I hope of course there's better elsewhere in his output.