News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Great Symphonic Finales.

Started by John H White, Monday 25 October 2010, 10:35

Previous topic - Next topic

TerraEpon

Gliere's 2nd always comes to mind here. It just has so much passion and energy combined with a Great Tune.

Atterburg's /8th/ as well.

Mark Thomas

I certainly agree with the nomination of Draeseke's Third and Hill's Second, so I'll pitch in with two Russians: Kalinnikov's First and Glazunov's Fifth. They must both be brass players' nightmares, but they are exhilaratingly upbeat and absolutely thrilling. Possibly neither are "great" in the sense of representing an artistic high point, but they are hugely effective at the job of finishing a symphony. If only concert audiences here got the chance to hear them...

John H White

Many thanks, everyone for all your interesting replies: it looks as if I shall now need to start budgeting for a few more CD's! :) To me, so many otherwise fine romantic period symphonies are let down by a relatively weak finale. People like Spohr and Dvorak spring to mind. I think its nice to finish off with a "big tune" as in Sibelius's 2nd. I also think that Mozart got the idea right in the finale of his last great symphony which, of course, got nick named "The Jupiter".

eschiss1

apologies for posting twice in this thread, but I certainly wouldn't mind hearing (the finales included :) of) Myaskovsky 2 (or 3), Melartin 5, or (outside the scope of this forum, but tonal and exciting from the sounds of the finale and not so bad in the other two movements either...) Tubin 7. (... stops himself before he tries to put in a good word for Hindemith's symphony in E-flat in the American symphonies thread- now that is going way too far :) )
Eric

eschiss1

Quote from: John H White on Tuesday 26 October 2010, 08:17
I think its nice to finish off with a "big tune" as in Sibelius's 2nd. I also think that Mozart got the idea right in the finale of his last great symphony which, of course, got nick named "The Jupiter".
Still, it was pointed out to me though that Sibelius 2's finale wouldn't be as good as it is if it weren't for the composer's hair-raising command of form and expectation- I did have to agree :)

M. Henriksen

The Finale from Siegfried Wagner's Symphony in C, a bit dark and dramatic in the first part, but the ending is jolly enough!

The last movement from Jesus Guridi's "Sinfonia pirenaica" is a brilliant ending to a very enjoyable symphony.

Morten

Ilja

Quote from: Crescendo on Monday 25 October 2010, 23:27
For me definitely Casella 2. Can't play it loud enough!
Dopper 7 has some irresistible charm in the finale as well though i wish the movement had been better developed.

The Dopper 7 finale consists of melodies from Valerius' Gedenck-klanck, a collection of anti-Spanish songs from the time of the Dutch uprising in the 16th/17th century, and ends in a march, which is intended as a reflection on the merciless war machine of WW1 (a bit like the way in which Ravel's La Valse is a perverted form of the careless, pre-WW Viennese waltz). There is an old recording of it from November, 1940, after the German occupation of the Netherlands, and conducted by Mengelberg (but of course programmed before the invasion) - a very much emotionally charged affair.

And, if I'm allowed another vote, could I suggest the hair-raising intensity of Franz Schmidt's Second Symphony? It's one of those pieces I'm actually sometimes afraid to play because I know I'll get out exhausted (in a good way, mind).

monafam

Quote from: John H White on Tuesday 26 October 2010, 08:17
Many thanks, everyone for all your interesting replies: it looks as if I shall now need to start budgeting for a few more CD's! :) ...

I think the same thing everytime I check this forum!   ;D  I happen to have a monthly subscription to an online classical music site and try to listen to whatever I can locate.  Saves me a little money, but I'm a hoarder and really want to have it to own!   8)