Potter Symphony in G minor

Started by eschiss1, Saturday 17 May 2014, 23:15

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Thanks for reposting this. CADENSA lists three recordings of this (I may be missing some- simple-search doesn't turn up everything) in their archive. One's Hilary Davan Wetton/Milton Keynes Chamber Orchestra, 1989-09-15 to 1989-09-16 at Angel Recording Studios, London. The other is Andrew Parrot/London Mozart Players, (broadcast and/or recorded on) 1995-09-28, St Giles's Church, Cripplegate (London)  (total duration 31:45.) There's also Wetton/Ulster Orchestra (1989-03-09) from a Bristol Lunchtime Concert??...
I seem to recall it being the first of the three, though. (I seem to recall Wetton recording it commercially- may want to check the movement timings against that recording. Sym. 10 in G minor, 1989/Milton Keynes CO, on Unicorn Kanchana, a recording made in - hrm, September 1989, Angel Recording Studios, London, er... I ... see. (Timing: 28:06.) Actually, that -was- the first of the three, so hopefully whichever one we have, hopefully it's no.2 or 3 of the 3, or another still.)

28:04. Yep, that seems to be the version we have. "Hrrrrmmm." (Likewise the timing of the E-flat we used to have, 35:02, is pretty close- 10 seconds, allow for gap between tracks- to the 34:52 at the NLA(ustralia) website for the UKanchana recording of same. "Ah, well.")

semloh

Thanks for trying to identify this performance, Eric.

If this is the 6th symphony, then it is one of the Hilary Davon-Wetton versions, namely the one on YouTube, where the orchestra is unidentified. I believe that I downloaded it from UC when it first appeared, and I've checked it against the YouTube version and they are identical. It's an excellent performance and a fine orchestra, but which one I really don't know.

Potter's 1st symphony was also in G minor but I don't believe that it, or the 10th, was ever available via UC.