The problem with Naxos' violin series

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 24 July 2014, 14:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I've commented on this before, but Naxos seems intent on recording a ton of fiendishly virtuosic, but musically insignificant 19th century compositions for violin when there is a huge number by other, far better and more important composers left lying unrecorded. The latest folly is apparently Ferdinand David's Twenty Virtuoso Studies of which - interestingly - MusicWeb reviewer John Whitmore says: "...what great playing but what a shame about the music."
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2014/Jul14/David_studies_8573048.htm

thalbergmad

Empty virtuosity appeals to me, but I might be in the minority. It carries with it a tinge of excitement and the feeling that the performer is at the edge of their capability. It is the equivalent of the Olympic 100m final.

If their previous excursions sold well, no doubt they saw fit to continue.

Thal

JimL

You're neglecting the other part of the review, Alan.  And I quote: "The Six Caprices are far more rewarding. The melodic inspiration is much higher in this set of pieces and here you find yourself listening to real music, not just a selection of dry exercises. Having said that the level of virtuosity required is also staggering. There are no Paganini-like harmonics and left hand pizzicato effects but the rapid passages that shoot across the strings and the double stopping in 4ths, 5ths and octaves are spectacular. Everything is played with taste and refinement. Tuning and tone are immaculate."  The reviewer takes to task the original material of the Virtuoso Studies (Moscheles' Op. 70 set of Etudes) which he considered rather empty.  Myself, I rather enjoy the Etude in the Olden Style from that set, but to each his own.  Of course, I'd rather see what David could have done with Moscheles' Characteristic Etudes, Op. 95, but...

thalbergmad

The Caprices are stunning especially the last two. Spine tingling stuff.

I am not a violinist so i cannot properly appreciate the skill here.

Thal

TerraEpon

FWIW, the piano transcritpions of David's etudes by Liszt called "Bunte Reihe" are very enjoyable.

Alan Howe

QuoteYou're neglecting the other part of the review, Alan

Well, the main works on the CD are clearly the Studies. Empty stuff indeed.

thalbergmad

I have listened to this CD 3 times now and it grows on me a little bit more each time. The Caprices are musically as well as technically fascinating.

I am going to have to try a few of the others.

Thal

Alan Howe

thalbergmad

Probably me. I have a very simple brain that is satisfied with short works within my feeble attention span and musical confetti.

Thal

Alan Howe

Your many valuable contributions to the forum would never have led me to that conclusion...