Time-wasting violinist composers

Started by Glazier, Thursday 10 June 2010, 05:08

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

Quote from: Alan Howe on Saturday 12 June 2010, 16:54
Perlman is definitely partnered by Barenboim in Vieuxtemps (on EMI). Martinon is the conductor for Perlman in the other pieces on the same CD.
Easy to check, Jim...
Quite right.  And I did, thanks.  I was just looking at the bottom, not under the concertos.  I should have remembered, since I had that LP in my collection way back when!

Alan Howe

JimL

Oh, like we run out of room, or something? ;D

Alan Howe

Let's just get the facts right before we put someone else right...

JimL

Anyway, getting back to the topic, or more or less tangential to it: there is a passage almost exactly like the one being discussed (the 'donkey-bray' effect) right before the end of the solo part in the first movement of Vieuxtemp's CC 2.

pcc

On the topic, if it's still relevant, does anybody have strong (or any) feelings about the de Beriot concertos?  Many are rather thin, but I have a soft spot for nos. 2 and 7 (the latter being one of the first concertos to get an extended, if abridged, recording -- by Maud Powell).  I accompanied both of them in my youth, and no 7 I played with a student at IU who brought it in to Josef Gingold, who was thrilled to hear someone doing it.  I always thought that one quite melodically charming and rather deftly made.