News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Otto Neitzel

Started by fyrexia, Saturday 18 June 2011, 02:06

Previous topic - Next topic

fyrexia

Wikipedia : Otto Neitzel (6 July 1852 – 10 March 1920) was a German composer, pianist, writer on music, and lecturer. Neitzel was born in the town of Falkenburg in Farther Pomerania (modern Złocieniec, Poland).

From 1873 to 1875 he was a student of Franz Liszt. He composed several operas. Neitzel died in Cologne).

Does anyone know any historial recording of this man´s Piano Concerto Op.26?
Apparently in the Romantic Piano Concerto world.. it's second only to Busoni in number of pages according to some researchers. And probably in length.
Backhaus performed this concerto during his early career. Does anyone know if the concerto has ever been played after the WW2?
Hope this can be task for hyperion.

Tony

Gareth Vaughan

Well, the score and parts are in the Fleisher Collection, so it's readily available. I regret that I have not seen it so cannot offer any opinion as to its quality.

eschiss1

the score is 190 pages according to BSB (published by Giessel (Jr?) of Bayreuth) - erm, that's the 2nd longest? I'm wary of such claims.  (One as yet unpublished piano concerto exceeds both it and, I think, the Busoni, in number of pages, pretty handily, for what that's worth (Sorabji concerto 8))

but I'm not even positive that 190 is 2nd greatest among published works. Will look into performances, though- that does interest of course.
(ah, part of my problem is that I'm searching by Nietzel, as per your title, rather than Neitzel, as per his name. can you edit that at this late date? :) )

fyrexia

According to a friend, some scores holds 129 pages. There is actually quite a handful concertos that pages and length surpasses the busoni. But is hard to find another during the very early 20th century. I believe alan bush concerto is also quite a lengthy one. And the sorabji itself mentioned.
eschiss1.. i do not fully understand your question in the parenthesis. Can you tell me exactly what to do?
The only other information i know is that the concerto holds 4 movements.

Tony

eschiss1

what do you mean as to the bit in parentheses... as to the Sorabji, that was a link to a page describing the Sorabji concerto 8 (from a website containing descriptions of most of his known works.)

Gareth Vaughan

Wilhelm Backhaus thought highly of this concerto and played it more than once.

Aramiarz

Interesting composer! I don't know about him :'(

eschiss1

We have a couple of books of his over @ IMSLP, I see - one about Saint-Saëns, one a book about contemporary (1890) opera called Der Führer (guide- a bit early, 1890, for any nazi associations...) durch die Oper.