Castelnuovo-Tedesco VCs 1 & 2 from Naxos

Started by Christianv12, Friday 02 January 2015, 18:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Christianv12

Alan Howe

I'm pretty sure that these VCs will prove to lie outside UC's remit. No.2 certainly is, but I suppose we must wait and see what No.1 is like. Just a quick reminder about our guidelines here:
http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,3681.0.html

Christianv12

Oh sorry. I was pretty sure that No. 2 is a romantic VC.
But in my opinion the second movement of Bach's double violin concerto in d or the 2nd of the E major concert are also romantic.
You can close the post, or move ít...

Alan Howe

Well, the movements you mention from the Bach concertos are examples of highly expressive music from the late baroque period. The fact that they are highly expressive doesn't make them romantic in the technical sense used in UC's definition.

As I said, we'll see whether Castelnuovo's 1st VC is appropriate here when the Naxos recording is released...

minacciosa

If these concertos lie outside the forum's remit, I submit the forum needs to adjust its mission statement. It's just getting way, way too narrow. Nothing CT wrote until his death in the 60's is anything less than romantic.

Alan Howe

QuoteI submit the forum needs to adjust its mission statement. It's just getting way, way too narrow

Hardly. We range from the proto-romanticism of Reicha and Dussek to the late, late romanticism of Marx, Korngold and Schmidt-Kowalski. However, you have prompted me to listen to C-T's VC2 again, so I'll dig out Perlman and see what I think...

Gareth Vaughan

I must say I am a little surprised that anyone should think CT's VC No. 2 was not Romantic.

Alan Howe

Is it romantic in the same sense as Walton's VC? Anyway, I promise to give it a proper listen - but it's been my wife's surprise 60th birthday celebration today, so I plead distraction...

Alan Howe

OK, I give in. I must have been thinking of the Ben-Haim coupling on the Perlman CD. Many apologies. C-T's VC2 is now duly designated suitable for discussion here...

minacciosa

Alan Howe