News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Old musical journals online

Started by violinconcerto, Thursday 01 January 2015, 20:39

Previous topic - Next topic

violinconcerto

I am just checking several old German musical journals (from around 1920) which are available online for mentioned compositions for violin and orchestra (journals like "Die Musik", "Pult & Taktstock", etc). These sources are very useful to find names and compositions which are now almost forgotten.

But I have the problem, that I easily found German journals, but not many from other countries. So I would be pleased if you could tell me names and - if possible - online sources (like archive.org) for musical journals from other countries from the time 1900-1930.

Thanks and have a great start into 2015!
Tobias

eschiss1

Have you looked at the webpage Zeitschriften (Musik)? (I think others besides the original poster of the thread may find the page very interesting, by the way, once translated into languages they can read more easily if need be...)

There's some more information @ IMSLP, too, on a page there- will find the link...

violinconcerto

Yes, that wikisource website was my starting point for checking journals, but only German ones are listed. I am searching for a similar overview for English, French, Hungarian, Italian, etc journals.

eschiss1

I wouldn't mind such an overview- or rather, I'd welcome it, especially links to some of the harder-to-find Hungarian and Italian (e.g.) music journals that might contain concert, publication, premiere information, etc.   That (PDF) dissertation with information about Mihalovich's (largely unpublished, I expect, though some-published) corpus of works, their breakdown (movements, instrumental requirements, thematic incipits, etc.), performance history, critical reception, etc., looked to be the result of a lot of wandering through just such journals- among many other things- most of which probably haven't yet been digitized, of course but some of which perhaps have been... (I remember often, just-- because, spending much too much of my ... too much anyway... spare time- going through back issues of the Musical Times (& NZM, so far as I could decipher it with little German...) and whatnot looking for interesting concert information, premieres, etc. from 1870-1940 etc. ... , taking lots of index cards' worth of notes... - ...

never imagined they'd put that stuff on the internet, mind; even when I heard about schemes to start scanning important things, that, like, oh, music scores, sounded so far down the priority list of anyone who could afford a scanner, I guess, that ... well. (1993, was that? I think, yes. Sometime about. Ok, ok, it was only just barely called "the internet" then anyway...)

violinconcerto

While searching for information I was led several times to musical journals available from jstor. Unfortunately this is not for free, but I would pay for an access but it seems to be very expensive. Is there an alternative service to jstor?

And you mention "The Musical Times": Is there an online source for the issues around 1900?

eschiss1

Not sure if there is - Google is not very helpful with those. Archive.org in the US has some things that Google doesn't, but that's for people in the US...

The French National Library, though, has digitized a range of issues of Le Ménestrel, and as noted @ the Zeitschriften article, some things have been digitized by the University of Michigan in the US. 

I see that Cypressdome has uploaded to IMSLP a couple (so far) of issues of Kunkel's Musical Review, Saint Louis, including the one with an article about Raff's death.
(Another notable US music sheet was Dwight's Journal of Music (unfortunately I suspect the links provided in the article may mainly or entirely work only in the USA, for general, though not applicable here, © reasons - not sure.))

rosflute

Several libraries have archived editions of the Musical Quarterly, Times, Letters etc. So sometimes a cheap alternative is to find the article you want and then track it down in a library.
Jstor also offer a limited access for free [or they used to]

eschiss1

For information on registered (with copyright-offices, or in other ways useful for determining publication dates) publications, there's not only Hofmeisters Monatsberichte but also several French, Belgian, Italian, Scandinavian, and other sources that have been digitized, at least for particular years (many years of the French Bibliographie de la France (to give an IMSLP link; there's also one at BNF, of course) have been scanned; one notes (Google here) the 1877 Bibliografia Italiana and that from 1876, 1874 and 1878 too; for starters...) - also Google has many issues of the Library of Congress Catalog of Copyright Issues scanned, as do some other sources.