News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Gustave Huberti (1843-1910)

Started by Wheesht, Sunday 22 February 2015, 10:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheesht

There can't be many (or indeed any other?) composers who have 'combined' (for want of a better word, not having heard the work in question) Romantic music and science. Flemish composer Gustave Huberti apparently did just that with his Hymn to Science, for the 25th anniversary of the 'Université Libre de Bruxelles'.
It does not look as though recordings of any of his (large-scale) works are available. They include a Symphonie funèbre from 1883 – see:
http://www.musikmph.de/musical_scores/vorworte/509.html (scroll down for English translation)

edurban

Not to detract from M. Huberti's accomplishment, but I imagine there are quite a few occasional works celebrating the 19th century's pride in science and technology, it just isn't the nature of such productions to survive their 'occasion'.  Even those by well-known composers vanish, like Saint-Saens' cantata celebrating electricity 'Le feu celeste'.

David

Wheesht

Thanks, I hadn't been aware of the Saint-Saëns cantata. Seen from a 21st century perspective the rationalism of science and Romantic music appear to be worlds apart, that's why Huberti's piece struck me as unusual.