Bortkiewicz : 2 Symphonies Score

Started by Cheah SC, Monday 10 November 2014, 08:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheah SC

2 Symphonies by Bortkiewicz already recorded (Hyperion-records), may i know who have this score?

eschiss1

The Free Library of Philadelphia, Fleisher Collection, which loans to orchestras etc., has the manuscript scores and parts. Search at freelibrary.org . Specifically http://know.freelibrary.org/vufind/Record/486948 and http://know.freelibrary.org/vufind/Record/486949 (and click the tab that says MARC view for detailed information- movements, instrumention, &c &c.)

MHBallan

I do have a scanned copy of Symphony No. 2 and happy to share with members - just e-mail me and I will send you the link to down-load the score.

malcolm.ballan@gmail.com

The scores of both symphonies in the Fleisher collection are actually photocopies made by the composer in 1950 - the originals have yet to be found.  The scores are only available in manuscript.     

Malcolm

Aramiarz

The Bortkiewicz life was very hard! it's good that his music in very important percentage is available. I wish soon his violin and cello concerts are available!! Thadani made one important rescue job

Christopher

Hi Aramiarz - his violin and cello concertos have been recorded.   I think they are even on this website in the downloads section.....

eschiss1

Not sure that counts as available (or even "N(o)L(onger)A(vailable)" :) )... except to us. (Even adding in the synthesized versions that are also available more widely- in those cases not recordings, I fear.)
Wouldn't say no to seeing and hearing a commercial recording of them speaking for myself... - have the people at Hyperion had a look at either of the string concertos? :)

MHBallan

There were a couple of poor recordings made from concerts in Ukraine [I was fortunate to attend these performances during a Bortkiewicz Festival in 2002].  Think you can find copies of these concerts on-line [think its the Rusian site....Classics On-line or something similar].

I did raise this question with Hyperion and there was a possiblility of them being recorded at some stage [although no promise].  They were keen to have the Lyrical Intermezzo to compliment the violin concerto, but as I said that still remains missing.  Maybe a few e-mails from members to Hyperion might push this up their agenda for a recording !   Like you, I can only hope, as I think both works are very beautiful and crying out for a professional recording.

Malcolm

musiclover

Well, as I mentioned in another thread, the Violin Concerto is recorded properly. Sergey Levitin (violin) Martin Yates (conductor) RSNO. Soon to be released by Dutton, together with Othello.

jerfilm

Just a friendly caution - Malwarebytes sez classical-music-online.net is a malware site and blocked it.

Jerry

eschiss1

and that's not a "free music download site", those are rips of commercial recordings. There -is- a difference...

eschiss1

Mr. Levitin has, I see, a Twitter feed in which he mentions recording the violin concerto (back in January)- anyhow, thanks for that (Dutton) news (and thumbs-up to them.)
(Any relation, I wonder, to (composer) Yuri Levitin... hrm. ... anyway.)
Thanks!