Jadassohn Symphonies

Started by Gareth Vaughan, Sunday 15 August 2010, 15:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

I have just learned that CPO have already recorded Jadassohn's 1st and 4th symphonies, and sessions to record 2 & 3 are scheduled for July 2011. However, we may have to wait a while for these disks to emerge as there is a possibility that they will now be issued altogether as a 2 CD set. So "modified rapture".

Alan Howe

It is good to hear confirmation of what cpo told me some time ago when the 4th Symphony (a truly wonderful piece) was broadcast on German radio (performers: Nordwestdeutsche Philharmonie conducted by Israel Yinon). Thanks, Gareth!

eschiss1

The full score of the first is by the way available online, though at BSB  (hopefully someone at IMSLP will grab the individual images, PDF them, and upload it there, too)- for reading along ;).  I haven't heard the Cameo Classics recording of the 1st - I have heard that it's cut, though - a pity if true.
Have only seen the 1st and 2nd symphonies in score so far (the 2nd a decade ago by interlibrary loan; it looked very good, I posted some notes about it to a newsgroup, I think... - and the first just a few days ago as noted.)
Eric

Mark Thomas

Whoop-de-do. Great news (even if modified).

Gareth Vaughan

The Cameo Classics recording of Jadassohn's 1st is not cut.

eschiss1

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Tuesday 17 August 2010, 22:58
The Cameo Classics recording of Jadassohn's 1st is not cut.
Good to know- I forget who had said it was and apologize for spreading malicious rumor :(

Alan Howe

It's the orchestra itself that's cut-down in size on the CC recording (where have the violins gone?)!

eschiss1

Jadassohn sym 3 is also (as sym. 1 is, elsewhere on that site, and other works by other composers) available in full score scan at http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/bsb00047852/image_1 and onwards (images, not a PDF, though it could be made into one with the right software.) op.50 (1876 I think),  D minor Allegro appassionato/B-flat major Andante un poco tenuto/D minor Menuetto (Allegro non troppo vivo, Trio)/Finale: D major Allegro fiero, non troppo vivace.
Eric

Gareth Vaughan

Quotenot a PDF, though it could be made into one with the right software.

In the top right hand corner of the web page you will see the words "PDF Download". Clicking on this allows you to download a PDF of the full score to your PC - something which I have just done.

eschiss1

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Sunday 22 August 2010, 12:35
Quotenot a PDF, though it could be made into one with the right software.

In the top right hand corner of the web page you will see the words "PDF Download". Clicking on this allows you to download a PDF of the full score to your PC - something which I have just done.
ah, my mistake, many thanks!
Eric