Main Menu

My Favourite Unsung Piano Trio

Started by Peter1953, Saturday 31 July 2010, 08:59

Previous topic - Next topic

TerraEpon

Cecile Chamniade, Piano Trio No. 1.

</thread>

Peter1953

Thank you all for your contributions. Yes, I understand it's difficult to make a choice which Piano Trio (for piano, violin and cello) is definitely your favourite. When I read unsung names such as Raff (I certainly cannot do without his marvellous piano trios) and Fuchs (just gorgeous, and, off-topic, don't forget his 3 piano sonatas) I'm going to add Rubinstein's piano trio No. 3 in B flat major, op. 53. I really love that piece very much.
I wish Rufinatscha had written a piano trio. That would have been something...

Amphissa, you mentioned Rachmaninoff's Trio Elegiac (Élégiaque) No. 2. But what do you think of his 15 minutes lasting Trio Élégiaque No. 1 in G minor (without opus number)? That piece really moves me...

Mark Thomas

QuoteI wish Rufinatscha had written a piano trio.

But he did. It's coupled with the piano four hand reduction of the Piano Concerto on one of the Tiroler Landemuseum CDs.

Peter1953

Now that is a stupid mistake of mine. Sorry, Johann...   :-[
And of course it's in my collection. I will listen to your Piano Trio this afternoon...

Ignaz Brüll

JimL

Did anyone mention the Henselt?  That's mine.

chill319

As Peter says, there is so much excellence to choose from. I look forward to getting to know the Gernsheim and Fuchs trios, now on order. Having lived with earlier recordings for years, I was thrilled to hear the superb musicality of the Arden Trio's performances of the two Foote trios on Naxos. I highly recommend both the works and the ensemble. Chaminade has not been quite so lucky, but her two trios -- especially the second in A minor, opus 34 -- similarly seem works of substantial character and individuality.
In case I'm not the last to have done so, have a look at the mouth-watering (if not, indeed, chin-drippin') http://imslp.org/wiki/List_of_Compositions_for_Piano_Trio