Previous topic - Next topic

thalbergmad

A bit of light hearted fun.

https://youtu.be/LqHz0OvcfVA 

Always wondered what this sounded like.

Clara would not be amused.

Thal

chill319

I wonder if Godowsky ever played this. Does anyone know if Liszt's Chopin rewrites (for example, the Sonata in B minor) are recorded?

Mark Thomas

An impressive party trick maybe, but musically it is just awful!

Gareth Vaughan

Domingo makes the best case for it because he doesn't play everything in the left hand in octaves. He makes some musical choices. It's technically very impressive but musically very dubious. However, now we've heard it and know that Dreyschock might at least have done it.

Jonathan

Interesting!  I had often wondered what it might have sounded like...

Chill319, as far as I know the Liszt variants for the Chopin Etudes or the B minor sonata haven't been recorded or even published.  Maybe the New Liszt Edition might get around to it eventually?

eschiss1

Did not know of those variants but I now see them at Henselt Library e.g. Can't find videos or videos of the Op.58 that mention the use of the Liszt variant finale bars being used, though maybe I'll have to listen to various recordings of Op.58 or of the etudes to find out rather than read; will see if I can find anything?... that's interesting. (I also wonder if anyone uses von Bülow's suggested tweaks to Beethoven's Op.106, e.g., in practice...)

chill319

I looked closely at Liszt's version of the B-minor finale some years back. IIRC he made no structural or harmonic changes, but the textural and voicing changes were substantial.

eschiss1

Spelling of Dreyscock is missing an "h". (Three roosters?)

Mark Thomas

No chicken jokes here, Eric. I've corrected the thread title, thanks...