News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

New Raff CD from Sterling

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 20 November 2009, 08:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

This year's Christmas present for all Raff enthusiasts has been released by Sterling. Everything is a premiere recording and three of the pieces have never been performed before. The major work is the long awaited Suite for Piano & Orchestra with a superb virtuoso performance by Tra Nguyen. Filling out the disc are the substantial overtures to the operas Die Eifersüchtigen and König Alfred, the Prelude to Dornröschen and an Intermezzo from that work and finally the gorgeous Prelude to Act III of the opera Samson. The Norrlands Opera Symphony Orchestra is in cracking form under conductor Roland Kluttig.

It's already available from jpc, full details (but no soundbites yet) here.

Alan Howe

TerraEpon

Peter1953

Already ordered (together with the Draeseke symphonies 1&4 and 2). Impossible to wait until Christmas...Sometimes a man has to give a small present to his wife.  :-*

Mark Thomas

Audio extracts are now available at jpc here.

The tracks are:
1-5. Suite for Piano & Orchestra.
6. Die Eifersüchtigen Overture.
7. König Alfred Overture.
8. Dornröschen: Prelude.
9. Dornröschen: Die Dornhecke Intermezzo.
10: Samson: Prelude to Act III.

In each case they're the start of the track.

Gareth Vaughan

Fantastic news! I feel an overdraft coming on!

Peter1953

What a wonderful start of the weekend, coming home from a busy working day, finding the new Raff CD. And what followed is a very pleasant evening!

It's a fantastic listening adventure, to hear for the first time an (to me) unknown substantial orchestral work from Raff. The Suite für das Pianoforte mit Begleitung des Orchesters in E flat major, Op. 200, is a gorgeous piece of music, consisting of five movements. A dazzling Introduction und Fuge (Lisztian virtuosity of the piano), a beautiful Menuett, the Gavotte und Musette with a catching and most charming main theme, a heavenly, emotional and lyrical Cavatina and a high-spirited Finale. Some fourty minutes of overwhelming music, full of attractive melodies. A masterpiece!
And hats-off for Tra Nguyen! I've never heard anything before from this beautiful and young Vietnamese pianist, but she has done a wonderful job. Especially in the first movement there are some extremely virtuoso passages (reminiscent of Liszt), which she plays very convincingly.

Both Overtures are fine orchestral pieces, but the Preludes, especially Dornröschen (for solo violin and orchestra), are very appealing.

Also a compliment for Dr. Avrohom Leichtling. His very informative booklet notes are simply outstanding.

This disc is another convincing proof that Raff is a true Great Composer, or, as Dr. Avrohom Leichtling puts it, an endlessly fascinating composer. Who would deny this?

All Raffians on the Forum, don't hesitate for another second and buy this CD as soon as you can, if you haven't already done so. Highly recommended!

Mark Thomas

I have a vested interest in thinking this CD a must-buy, so thanks Peter for the independent endorsement!

DennisS

Hi all

I too would like to sing the praises of the new Raff cd from Sterling. Absolutely SUPERB! Everything Peter1953 says and more! As Mark says, an absolute must-buy!!!

cheers
Dennis

scottder

Has anyone seen this CD from a US vendor yet?

TerraEpon

I am listening to this again (third time), and man, it's so absolutely wonderful it's hard to imagine how music like this lingered in the dark for so long. Especially the rousing finale of the Suite and the King Alfred Overture. This is easily on the short list of favorite CDs now, I think.

Mark Thomas

That'll be Sterling's second Raff release, the Suite for Piano & Orchestra and assorted overtures and preludes. The new one is of works for chorus and orchestra, and the major work, Die Tageszeiten, is a 40 minute long amalgam of piano concerto and choral symphony. I hope that you enjoy it as much as you obviously have this one.