Gorgeous Slow Movements in Unsung Romantic Symphonies

Started by Peter1953, Wednesday 15 September 2010, 18:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter1953

I'm not sure anymore, but maybe a topic like this was discussed in the former Forum. But then, new members with other ideas joined, opinions have changed, hence this topic.

Every member can give a long list of symphonies with 'gorgeous' slow movements, by different composers, but I like to know which slow movements you really love, and why?

My kick-off:

1. Noskowski, Symphony 1 in A major, adagio cantabile (2nd movement).
From the first time I heard this overwhelming piece, I'm totally caught by the emotional, magnificent theme, after 5:16 minutes developing to a climax reached at 6:28 minutes. This gives me the goosebumps...
Unbelievable that this music is unsung. Completely undeserved. This whole symphony is very warmly recommended.

2. Von Herzogenberg, Odysseus Symphony, op. 16, Penelope (langsam = slow, 2nd movement).
The captivating mean theme is dramatical, but very, very beautiful. I love Herzogenberg's music without exception, but it is all rather Brahmsian. The Odysseus, as I hear it, stands very much on its own. Maybe it's influenced by Wagner/Liszt, but we hear a composer finding his own way. I always regret that Herzogenberg strongly turned to Brahms (yes, it resulted into beautiful music, but...). Anyway, the 2nd movement grabs me by the throat. I think this is Herzogenberg's most emotional musical outburst.

Do members have such examples?

TerraEpon

Gliere's 2nd. The melody...oh the melody.

And then there's Rozsa's Symphony....it's like a passionspolsion.

oldman

Three slow movements that have caught my ear every time I've listened to them:

The Adagio movement from Alfred Hill's Symphony #3 "Austrailia"
The Andante un poco maestoso from Edward Tubins Fourth Symphony
The Adagio from Louis Glass's 6th Symphony

Dylan

Your post encouraged me to listen to the Glass; you're right, it is rather fine - pity there isn't a really top-rate performance out there. (Glass - like Bendix - deserves a lot better than the often scrappy recordings he's mostly been given so far.)

Ilja

• The Andante (2nd mvt) from Atterberg's Sinfonia Piccola (or Symphony No. 4): an exquisite mix of the best sort of 'folksiness', intimacy and expansion
  • The 3rd Mvt from Joly Braga Santos' 4th Symphony: a perfect buildup of latent tension, some eruptions here and there, winding down in the end.
  • The 2nd Mvt from Raff's 5th (or the 3rd from the 10th)
  • The second half of the 2nd Mvt of Bernard Zweers' Third Symphony: A jolly farmer's dance winds down to one of the most beautiful fugues I've ever heard

Peter1953

Thank you for your posts. I'm not familiar with the 3 symphonies you mention, oldman. I'll try to listen to audio samples, just to get an idea.
I agree with Ilja about Atterberg's Andante from his 4th. It's a fascinating, beautiful piece which reminds me of Sibelius (Ilja, what do you think of the Adagio from the 6th, which is a favourite of mine?).

John H White

I'd go for the Adagio from Rufinascha's Fifth Symphony. Just sit back and let the music flow over you! :)