Lindpaintner I Vespro Siciliano

Started by mikehopf, Friday 31 July 2015, 04:54

Previous topic - Next topic

mikehopf

Never mind the grammar... listen to the music. What a wonderful discovery!

I can't wait to hear his Vampire - not Marschner.

Alan Howe

Some enjoyable stuff in this opera, but hardly a major discovery. Can't help feeling it's very small (Meyer)beer in a gallon-sized glass...

eschiss1

(Meyerbeer's actual last name having been Beer, that joke either works better or less impressively depending on one sees such things ;^) )

Alan Howe

The point, though, stands. This is sub-Meyerbeer on a grand scale.

JimL

In other words, French sub-Grand Opera?

Mark Thomas

It may be small beer, but it's welcome news.

Alan Howe

Oh, I'll be buying it. But listening to it with a small glass in hand...

eschiss1

Seems to be the same performers - maybe same recording?? - as uploaded to our downloads board in 2015, btw. Timings of upcoming recording here.

JimL

Alan Howe

This is pretty third-rate stuff. Unfortunately the performance doesn't further its cause: it's adequately sung when spectacular voices are required, the chorus work is untidy and the orchestra is pretty average. No, this isn't even a patch on Meyerbeer. What Schumann, Spohr and Mendelssohn saw in Lindpaintner is anyone's guess.

Sorry: if this sort of opera is going to be revived, it needs the Opera Rara touch, not a recording of a vaguely decent provincial performance. Definitely one for enthusiasts only...

Alan Howe

By the way: now that the performance has come out on Naxos, the upload has been removed.