News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Ernst Mielck 1877-1899

Started by giles.enders, Monday 28 May 2012, 11:33

Previous topic - Next topic

jimsemadeni

Agree with giles.ender, what is the harm of a list? We know, ad infinitum, to whom this forum "belongs", and what the "remit" is, and so far it is worthwhile to read posts by other people but if anyone knows of other places to find information (and lists) about romantic composers let me know, hopefully before I get kicked off. Thanks

Alan Howe

Yes, but this thread is about Ernst Mielck.

Having said which, you contribute far more than mere lists to this forum, Giles. In most cases it's a biography followed by a list of works - which is not the same thing as a random list of composers of different periods who happened to have died young. I for one sincerely hope that you will go on contributing the sort of valuable and interesting information which has been in evidence here over the years.

This is primarily a discussion forum. We make no apology about this. And our database is searchable, of course...

Gareth Vaughan

I don't see any harm in starting a thread about composers who died young but I would strongly suggest that it contained not mere lists but some appraisal of the composer in question (insofar as that may be possible, depending on available sources), including of course dates, nationality, etc. Also a request for further information (which might prove productive); a list of known works and whether they are extant or not; a list of locations of extant MSS or printed works (or how to obtain latter); also details of any known recordings, either commercial or private. This then could develop into a useful informational resource. Jimsemadeni mentions Heikki Suolahti who, until now, was unknown to me - his Sinfonia piccola can be heard on YouTube and is very enjoyable. I would like to explore more of his music.

But whilst that suggestion is brewing, it is only proper that Alan steers us back to Mielck. I would really like to get my hands on that early PC.

Alan Howe

tpaloj

Good and bad news about Mielck's Piano Concerto.

Looking at copies now, it turns out the MS is quite tidy and at a glance the music might be quite good.  Piano and orchestral parts are all written out in detail... however - unfortunately and sadly, the MS breaks off at middle of the 2nd Movement's Trio section!  That means the whole 3rd/(+4th?) Movement(s) are missing (likely lost altogether) with the rest of the 2nd Movement, which is a damn shame.  In the most hopeful scenario the rest of the 2nd Movement could be recreated from the present material, but besides any forthcoming miracle discoveries, two movements is all there is to it.

EDIT: Full sample in a post below.

FBerwald

Very attractive, especially the tutti with the piano arpeggios - simply beautiful. The short sample makes me want to hear the whole piece however incomplete.

tpaloj

More about the Mielck PC: complete sample of the 1st Movement below.  The style of the piece, based on this, is fairly conservative and the music is very enjoyable with brilliant sections IMO.  The piano part would not be too difficult to perform.

The structure of the movement is very traditional, in no great detail something like this:

00:38   Exposition
02:01   "Tema I"
03:48   Development
05:27   Recapitulation
08:52   Solo cadenza
11:09   Coda

It was fun working with this piece.  My apologies again for the computerized sound quality, I know it's horrible, and for any mistakes.  I'm trying to look into whether uploading the score in some form might be okay with the source I got the MS copies from.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7e70yimu6r2i3m3/Ernst%20Mielck%20-%20Piano%20Concerto%201st%20Movement%20computerized.mp3?dl=0

FBerwald

Very melodious. I suppose it would sound really beautiful played by an actual orchestra.