New Etcetera CD of Belgian Romantic works for violin, I mean cello, and piano

Started by eschiss1, Saturday 06 April 2019, 16:01

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

I'm not sure I understand the point of Etcetera KTC 1644 which is being released soon. Much of it is taken up by a transcription of Lekeu's violin sonata for cello. The fellow wrote most of a cello sonata, available in a fine completion I believe, but they record a transcription of the violin sonata and advertise the disc as works for cello and piano (the title in the subject is mine, not theirs- see theirs. There are a few cello-native tracks on it, to be fair. And a lot of works not by these composers from Belgium from the Romantic period  originally written for cello too. Eg: how about Louis Delune's cello sonata in B minor (published 1906, score & part @ IMSLP) ?...

Gareth Vaughan

I agree. No point at all really. Except, I suppose, the cellist wanted to play these violin sonatas on his instrument.

eschiss1

and as an arrangement of the Lekeu (coupled with one of the Franck) has already been recorded on Cello Classics by Raphael Wallfisch and John York back 17 years ago, which might still be available, well, I'd wish the new disc the success it deserves, though there are items on it that look like they don't deserve the same fate and more importantly, its failure might be interpreted as a more general complete lack of interest in the composers and the program. (Which might be true, seeing as how those of us who are interested are still rather few on the whole...)

(Ah, I forgot Biarent's sonata, though it unlike the Delune has been recorded - and also unlike the Delune, is unpublished or at best only very recently published, I think. Though at least I've heard the Biarent.)