News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Bendix Symphonies 1 & 3

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 29 June 2024, 12:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Maury

Thanks for the notice. In the Amazon cart.

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

This is a brilliant master class. As someone who taught English at secondary school level and has worked extensively in copy-editing I can confidently state that Hurwitz is spot-on in his criticism of the "reviews" submitted to him by would-be musical critics. He gives praise where it is due but is unsparing in his judgement on style, form and language, as well, of course, of basic accuracy. Those who wish to write well should listen to him and learn from his strictures.

Alan Howe

Agreed - thanks, Gareth.

My only reservation in this regard would be to wonder whether Hurwitz obeys his own strictures in assessing other unsung music.

I'd also argue that he spends far too much of his time as a critic on (a) the standard repertoire in general and (b) the every-growing pile of new recordings of Bruckner (and, to a lesser extent) of Mahler in particular.

My other reservation concerns Hurwitz's preference for quasi-improvised video presentations over more carefully considered written articles. Far too often a positive assessment will go something like this: "It's wonderful - it really is." That's a content-free word-salad as far as I'm concerned.

Ilja

In this particular case I rather missed Hurwitz' personal opinion of this recording; it rather gets lost amidst the deconstruction.

Maury

While Hurwitz is of course correct in his listener comment critique, I wonder if the commenter isn't more in tune with the internet audience? Is it going to sell more Bendix to talk about his symphonic development or to dwell on his life as a wild living pop star in Old Denmark?

Alan Howe

I would imagine that only those interested in the music will buy this recording. I want to know more about the music he wrote, not his personal peccadillos!