Fritz Volbach Königskinder, Symphony in B minor, Op.33

Started by Justin, Monday 18 February 2019, 04:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I'd say from repeated listening that Volbach's Symphony is one of the most impressive works in that genre in the late Austro-German tradition to have emerged in recent years. I'd put it on a par with Wilhelm Berger's 2nd in terms of quality - but when oh when are we going to get a modern recording of that towering masterpiece?

eschiss1

I'm fairly sure Mr. Howe meant a modern, professional* recording of the Berger. That there's a modern recording of the Volbach - well, I'm guessing this post relates to the just-released cpo recording so :) ...!

*... hrmmm!... am I thinking of those student recordings of Rudorff 2 and Taubert's B minor rather than of Berger 2...

Alan Howe

Yes, I meant a modern, commercial recording of the Berger. Thanks, Eric.

hyperdanny

Since I got the cd, less than a week ago, I played the symphony several times, and I feel it really belongs to the Upper Echelon of the Unsungs, stuff that will not be set aside after novelty value has worn off...definitely Volbach has been forgotten "not" for a reason.
The orchestral playing, while perfectly up to the task of playing a new and quite complex piece in the manner of these wonderful German regional orchestras, has some very slightly unpolished moments in the brass/winds sections, to my ears at least, but thankfully Golo Berg seems to have the full measure of the piece.
I also found the cpo sound exceptional, really vivid and present above the average from the label.
Beautiful release.