Werner Richard Heymann - The Symphonic Works

Started by Wheesht, Saturday 21 December 2019, 18:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheesht

Something that I for one have been waiting to hear for a long time: the early symphonic works of Werner Richard Heymann, who later became famous as one of the great composers of early German films, until he had to emigrate, being Jewish. In the US he wrote the scores to around fifty films, among them classics such as Ninotchka and To Be or Not to Be.

His Rhapsodic Symphony (in one movement of six parts) was first performed by the Vienna Philharmonic, conducted by Felix Weingartner, in 1918 when the composer was just 22.
Excerpts here at Presto Music (downloads only) or on the label's own website.
A biography can be found here.

Alan Howe

brendangcarroll

Delighted that we can finally hear this music! Thank you for sharing details.

Wheesht

Indeed, but not released until September, whereas
JPC have it in stock.

Ilja

Sharkkb8

Ilja

I just gave this a listen and it's very, very good. The symphony is evidently part of a world that included such people as Schmidt and Korngold, but it also reminds me (harmonically) of Hermann von Glenck's Carita Eterna symphony. Of the other pieces, the much later symphonic poem Fausts Geheimnis is the most substantial. A must-buy for anyone who likes this sort of repertory, I'd say.

BTW, just curious: any relationship to Klaus?

Wheesht

I absolutely agree that's this is very good music. Thank you for mentioning von Glenck – I wouldn't have thought of him but as I have the Musikszene Schweiz von Glenck double CD in my collection, I'll play it soon.