Paderewski symphony, new recording?

Started by eschiss1, Monday 14 December 2020, 14:46

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

(or reissue, not sure?) I don't know if this is a reissue, and doubt it's as complete as the Hyperion, but I notice that Presto Classical has this listed as coming out toward the end of January.

Alan Howe

I've never seen this before - I'm absolutely certain it's a new recording. The performers are the Lviv National Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Bohdan Boguszewski. (Lviv is in western Ukraine near the Polish border.)
   Whether it's as complete as the Hyperion performance is more doubtful as the new Dux release is over 10 minutes shorter in duration. However, if this is simply a matter of missing repeats, it may be to the work's advantage...

Justin

Alan Howe

A quick glance through the booklet - thanks Justin! - reveals nothing about repeats, but the notes do document the inclusion of double bass (contrabass) sarrusophones which I'd never heard of. Apparently Paderewski calls for three of them in his symphony.

eschiss1

There's a published 1911 orchestral score (Heugel) @ IMSLP but I don't know whether -it's- cut or not, for that matter... at least in the first movement of the -published- score, there doesn't seem to be a repeat at the beginning of the Allegro (rehearsal 7) (I'll check later to see about the rest of the piece).

(Edit: also, of course in a big piece with a lot of tempo changes like this one, tempi can account for -some- of that without seeming out of bounds- I wonder how much...)

Gareth Vaughan

Quotein a big piece with a lot of tempo changes like this one, tempi can account for -some- of that without seeming out of bounds

I agree, Eric. I think they might easily account for most, if not all, of the time difference. Incidentally, Josef Holbrooke calls for 1 E flat contrabass sarrusophone in "Apollo and the Seaman". Apparently, at its first performance the player missed his cue!

Incidentally, I understand there are contrabass sarrusophones in C and B flat, which are yet lower in pitch! A contrabass sarrusophone, if anyone is interested, sounds like this: http://www.contrabass.com/pages/cbsar1.wav

eschiss1

My copy's probably still in storage, but I expect it's the Holbrooke example that's used by Forsyth in his terrific book on orchestration (my copy's the Dover reprint.)
When one puts together the new recording, the 2010 live performance available on YouTube, the Hyperion recording and others available, then even though most or all but one (or two or three?) might not be complete, it's nice to see the Paderewski is getting out there.