Farrenc Symphony 1: a reminder

Started by eschiss1, Wednesday 31 March 2021, 15:47

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Later today*, the Royal Stockholm Philharmonic is live-streaming Louise Farrenc's 1st symphony: https://www.konserthuset.se/en/play/romantic-symphonies/
(Apparently on April 18 Temple University's orchestra is broacasting the 3rd symphony; and a search suggests this is a better year for her music than I'd suspected. Good.)

*i.e. Wednesday 31st March, from 31:30 (Alan Howe, moderator)

Additional note: the Farrenc starts around 31:43 into the video. Oh- sorry, I was reading 31:30 as ... I don't know- 36-hour time :(???

Alan Howe

Is anyone able to extract the Farrenc and upload it, please?

jdperdrix

Alan Howe

jdperdrix

It's not as easy as I thought. But I'll do it anyway!

jdperdrix

It should appear soon in the downloads section.

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

I very much enjoyed this performance, which is (orchestrally) large-ish in scale and yet distinctly HIP-oriented, as is the wont of the conductor, Antonello Manacorda. I'm glad it wasn't played by a chamber orchestra, though - I counted around 50 players in this performance by the Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra, playing in Stockholm's nicely resonant Concert Hall.

adriano

Manacorda is a super conductor. I highly appreciate the Schubert and Mendelssohn Symphonies he recorded with his Kammerakademie for Sony.

Alan Howe

I like his conducting, but not his orchestras. That's the traditionalist in me talking, I'm afraid.

adriano

I consider myself a flexible traditionalist, Alan :-)