News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Percy Hilder Miles

Started by MikePurton, Monday 04 October 2021, 15:45

Previous topic - Next topic

MikePurton

As part of the first step in recording a pioneering series of music by the unjustly neglected North Kentish composer Percy Hilder Miles (1878-1922) I am putting the finishing touches to Volume 1 of PHM's Chamber Music  which features the brilliant new young Ensemble Kopernikus performing his Cello Sonata in C (1916), the Violin Sonata in G (1894) and his Piano Trio in B minor (1901). All recorded in the sumptuous acoustic of Henry Wood Hall, London with Tony Faulkner as Recording Engineer and me as Producer. Not having heard any of Percy's music before, I was introduced to it by Phil Hall, who is usually seen as no. 2 Viola with the BBCSO. Phil has lived all his life near the Thames in Erith, near where Percy himself lived. This music is a fantastic find, it is absolutely beautiful to listen to, imaginative, Romantic in style and demonstrating an inspired gift for melody and harmony. There is the influence of Brahms, Elgar and Dvorak but Percy's English voice can definitely be heard emerging. Percy taught Composition at the Royal Academy of Music and one of his pupils was Rebecca Clarke. This first CD will be released in February 2022 but will be available to buy from my website at www.mikepurtonrecording.com from early/mid November. There will be some listening samples available on the website too. This is gorgeous stuff - do look out for it!

matesic

Hi Mike. Of course I warmly echo all the above and appreciate having had the chance to sit in on one of the sessions and meet the musicians. Our first thread on Percy was in 2011 and it's fantastic that he's finally starting to receive his due.

Alan Howe

I'll certainly be looking out for this - thanks!

Martin Eastick

This will be a must-buy for me Mike! There is still so much English music from this period that needs investigation, performance and recording!

eschiss1

Gareth Vaughan