Karol Lipinski Symphonies Op.2 Nos.2 & 3

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 20 October 2022, 12:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

kolaboy

I've only heard a few of his concertos, so this is definitely of interest.

terry martyn

I have listened to both these symphonies,and these seem to be late-classical student works,I'm afraid. I think I can resist the need to purchase them,as they sound sub-Haydn and the orchestra lacks body.

Alan Howe

hyperdanny

there's a good release on Dux where the symphony n.3, the violin concerto n.2 , and an overture in D major are played by a regular, full size orchestra, with no HIP pretensions.
True, the symphony is no great masterpiece, but it comes across much, much better.

terry martyn

With that recommendation,hyperdanny, I have gone ahead and bought it

Alan Howe

This is the alternative recording (of Op. 2/3) on Dux mentioned above:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lipinski-Violin-Concerto-Symphony-Overture/dp/B0001D0A4M

However, the online review isn't aexactly positive about the playing in the symphony:

The violin concerto is the star attraction here, it is in the grand operatic manner of Paganini but the solo part is not so given to virtuoso display. The symphony and overture are tuneful if on the bland side. The orchestra is at times a little shaky in intonation and entries, the soloist, Dominika Falger, performs with bravura, and so somewhat makes up for their short comings. To my mind ( and ear ) the concerto is 4 stars and the symphony 3.

Of course, one can judge for oneself here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csAxKtQZSJM

Not a patch on, say, Wranitzky, in my view.

hyperdanny

For sure the orchestra on Dux is not the Berliners, not even a good German radio orchestra, but patchy moments aside it's listenable.
I heard worse on some old Marco Polo releases.
Agreed on the "not a patch on Wranitzky".

terry martyn

I think we can all agree that the new recording is a dud, by way of comparison. And,yes,Paul Wranitzky continues to be pleasurably surprising.

Alan Howe

The new recording is a dud (in my eyes) because it's HIP. The older recording isn't as good as it could be. A shame.